Dirt people and dirt people supermarkets
Tim May
2010-02-04 10:08:38 UTC
One thing I've found in the past 15 years of shopping is that dirt
people tend to shop at dirt people supermarkets.

This presumably varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. When I lived
in Santa Clara, then Sunnyvale, then Mountain View, in 1974-1986,
nearly all the shoppers were white people. An influx of boat people, c.
1979, but they were decent enough.

(Aside from denuding our pond areas of the ducks. ""What am you say? We
eat dem duck. Why they there?")

In the past 23 years, I've lived near Santa Cruz. Some normal white
people, but also a lot of trailer trash hippies. And an incredible
percentage of dirt people Mexicans, or, as they often claim to be
illiterate even in Spanis, "Mexticans."

Several of the stores I once frequented (formerly Alpha Beta, Lucky,
Albtertson's) are now mostly Mextican and trailer trash stores.

Fortunately, Costco has until recently refused to accept Food Stamps,
the mark of the trailer trash/tramp stamp crowd. Unfortunately, they
just reached some kind of "agreement" with the Obungler Nation
officials to begin accepting Welfare Money.

Mostly the trailer trash and Mextican dirts avoid Whole Foods and
Trader Joe's. These are pockets of whiteness in a rising tide of brown
dirt.

I think the weird labels, not written in Spanish, let alone Mextican,
scares them off.

Maybe Doctor Bronner's Peppermint Oil Soap really IS the anti-vampire
solution...
-- Tim May, Corralitos, California
Frito Pendejo
2010-02-25 06:35:34 UTC
Post by Tim May
Several of the stores I once frequented (formerly Alpha Beta, Lucky,
Albtertson's) are now mostly Mextican and trailer trash stores.
I rarely buy meat at major supermarkets anymore, since I can get fresher
meat cheaper at Mexican and Asian markets. If you want fresh fish, the
Asian markets sell it still alive.
Post by Tim May
Mostly the trailer trash and Mextican dirts avoid Whole Foods and Trader
Joe's. These are pockets of whiteness in a rising tide of brown dirt.
Whole Foods is overrated and overpriced. I like their bulk foods
section, though not all stores have one.
Golden California Girls
2010-02-25 14:54:31 UTC
Post by Frito Pendejo
I rarely buy meat at major supermarkets anymore, since I can get fresher
meat cheaper at Mexican and Asian markets.
At a Mexican market?! Was talking to a Mexican last week about how he had to
drive out of the hood to a white area to get fresh meat because the stuff in the
Mexican markets is already spoiling.

I suppose it is all location, location, location though
Steve Pope
2010-02-25 14:58:14 UTC
Post by Golden California Girls
Post by Frito Pendejo
I rarely buy meat at major supermarkets anymore, since I can get fresher
meat cheaper at Mexican and Asian markets.
At a Mexican market?! Was talking to a Mexican last week about how he had to
drive out of the hood to a white area to get fresh meat because the stuff in the
Mexican markets is already spoiling.
I suppose it is all location, location, location though
Your experience could be a SoCal thing. The markets up here
are doing high throughput and everything including the meat is
fresh. A significant fraction of Mexican markets here are selling Harris
Ranch beef and organic vegetables, all look to be in good condition to me.

Steve
Frito Pendejo
2010-02-26 05:28:28 UTC
Post by Frito Pendejo
I rarely buy meat at major supermarkets anymore, since I can get fresher
meat cheaper at Mexican and Asian markets.
At a Mexican market?! Was talking to a Mexican last week about how he had to
drive out of the hood to a white area to get fresh meat because the stuff in the
Mexican markets is already spoiling.
I suppose it is all location, location, location though
I was walking through Civic Center early one morning and I saw a line of
Asians lined up to buy live chickens. Then I realized those chickens
were probably going to be that day's lunches and dinners at all the
Chinese restaurants around town.

If you want unfresh, go to Wal-Mart where it seems like the meat was
irradiated months ago, and tastes like it.
sf
2010-02-26 07:18:09 UTC
Post by Frito Pendejo
I was walking through Civic Center early one morning and I saw a line of
Asians lined up to buy live chickens. Then I realized those chickens
were probably going to be that day's lunches and dinners at all the
Chinese restaurants around town.
I doubt the restaurant connection because I didn't see anyone buying
in bulk and they have lots of places in chinatown where they can buy,
but people were buying for their own meals for sure.

Did you know the merchants who sell live chickens will not allow you
to take a picture? I didn't want to take pictures because I was some
sort of animal activist, but I wasn't allowed. They told me not to
take a picture and lowered the door to block any shot I would have
taken if I'd tried.
--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.