XANH -- Castro St., Mountain View, CA
Steve Fenwick
2006-04-30 20:27:14 UTC
XANH, the new Vietnamese place on Castro in Mountain View, has been open
now for a couple of weeks. This is a first-visit review.

ObZagatStyle: F:24 D:18 S:24 C:$35
This "hip-yet-child-friendly-but-also-date-night" restaurant which
features more "shrimp, shrimp, and yes, more shrimp" dishes than Bubba
Gump's, along with a heavy dose of noodle, fish, and land-meat dishes,
is intoxicated on exotic taste-meshing and presentation. Noise level not
for the faint of hearing, but don't be put off by the serious 'tude of
the furnishings--hip dress not required, and booster seats for les
enfants are readily available. Reservations recommended for dinner.
Dinner daily from 5PM, lunch weekdays 11:30 - 2ish.

ObHimmel: The furnishings are a backdrop of black woodwork with white
paper table toppers, superimposed by a mix of black ceramic and colored
bubbly glass dining and serving dishes. The walls on both sides of the
open single room are lined with mirrors from seated eye-level to about
standing eye-level, which expands the visual openness of the space. The
ceiling and walls above eye-level are done in a severe blue. Relieving
the severity of the hard decor is an enormous flower arrangement at the
entrance. Lighting is by trendy overhead suspended micro-lamps and
colorful table tea lights. Seating is conventional height mixed
bench/chair for tables in most of the room; tables by the front windows
are bar-height. Service is white linen napkins, forks, and black
chopsticks.

ObBAFoodStyle: Herself and I, having watched and waited for this new
place to open for some time now, tried to get in a week ago at about 7PM
on a Friday as walk-ins. No dice, "but please, do come back" asked the
hostess. So, having called on Friday afternoon for a reservation for 6PM
Saturday, we arrived. Front service was prompt, had our reservation,
seated us immediately, and inquired how we had heard of them.

Order-taking was prompt but patient. Our server, Jade, was knowledgeable
about the preparations of the drinks and dishes. While we were trying to
choose our way through the main menu, she brought our drinks, a
Vietnamese salty lemonade and Thai iced tea. The iced tea was regular
Thai iced tea, and good. The Vietnamese salty lemonade is an unusual
concoction of lemonade with a brined plum at the bottom of a tall,
narrow glass. The plum acts like a time-release capsule for the salt; if
one wants more salt faster, one is directed to smash on it with one's
straw. The normal release rate was fine for us; as it turned out, it
works really, really well with sweet dishes (including, oddly,
alternating sips of the Thai iced tea). Herself described it as similar
to the last few bites of a properly salted watermelon as served in the
Southern U.S. Iced water is complimentary on request, and was served
with a slice of lime without having asked.

We started with the XANH deuce roll(tm)*, a combination roll of warm
pork, shrimp, mint, chives, and carrots. The menu shows it as served
with a vinaigrette; ours was served with a peanut sauce, which worked
really well. The roll was made up like a spring roll, with an outer
layer of rice wrapper, very thin and open at both ends, lettuce and mint
just under that, surrounding the core of pork and shrimp. No noodle or
rice filler, but topped with crispy leeks. The serving was eight pieces,
which was (I suspect, based on price) the four-piece size, cut in halves.

After the deuce came an order of XANH crispy shrimp clouds(tm). Four
pieces, each consisting of a single medium-size shrimp, boiled and
tailless, perched on a rice-flour pancake (more like a small, thin, flat
dumpling), pierced by a couple of strips of green apple. This was served
with a light vinaigrette. Each morsel makes for a bit of a challenge, as
it's a big (but good!) single mouthful, to get all the flavors at once,
or chopped up , but that misses part of the point. Dipping as a shared
dish is a challenge, as it's really finger-food. The flavors--shrimp,
apple, mint--meshed nicely once the mechanical challenges were overcome.
Curiously, the garnish on the serving dish is minced shrimp, which made
for one of the few confrontations I can remember with herself over who
gets the garnish from a dish.

Our entrees were served promptly after that. She had the XANH full moon
wraps(tm), and I had the XANH banana leaf sea bass (no tm on that one).
The full moon wraps seemed to me more like larger versions of the shrimp
clouds, but served on a lettuce leaf and with the peanut sauce. Again,
very good, but I wouldn't order them with the shrimp clouds as it seemed
a bit repetitive.

The sea bass came in a rectangular steamer, wrapped in a banana leaf
which our server cut open. The fish was underneath the mass of glass
noodles, and flavored just slightly with ginger, soy, and red pepper. I
didn't notice any shiitake mushrooms as mentioned in the menu. The
flavor of the fish carried out nicely past the seasonings, which added
depth to the dish. A good competitor to House's long-standing sea bass
dish.

The dessert menu is oddly Western (due to French influence in Vietnamese
cuisine?) Very heavy on chocolate. She had a hazelnut mousse/chocolate
torte stacked thing. It consisted of a couple of different layers of
dark and semisweet chocolate cake layers, with a hazelnut mousse on top.
The hazelnut flavor was very subtle, and easy to miss after the strength
of the spice in the sea bass. I had the Pina Colada gelato, which
consisted of a base of pineapple pieces and syrup at the bottom of a
small glass, topped by coconut gelato, with a sprinkle of tiny dark
chocolate pieces on top. The gelato was more like a gelled foam, quite
soft, but with a solid coconut flavor that went well with the pineapple
and followed the sea bass well.

Service was prompt, attentive, and knowledgeable. Our server really
worked the "light touch" thing--palm lightly on back, fingertips on
shoulder and arm, etc., which worked well for me but others on this
forum, judging from past comments, might have found intrusive. Can't
tell you if other servers were doing the same thing or not. We made
several comments about dishes, and honestly came away with the
impression that they welcomed the comments (whether they did or not is a
separate matter). We both found the service to be very good, and we
tipped accordingly high.

When we arrived at 6, the room was reasonably quiet and only about
one-quarter full. By 6:45 or so, it was quite full and the sound level
had picked up to the point that conversation was possible, but at that
busy-restaurant level, not in the hushed-tone level that it started out
at.

The wine list was fairly short; maybe 20 bottles in all. Prices for
bottles seemed to be in the usual dastardly markups (e.g., Echelon 2004
Pinot Noir $25, $7 per glass), but all in the $20-$30 range and the
aforementioned Echelon was the most expensive glass I noticed.

Total was about $78 before tips. Yes, we'll be going back.

Steve

* No, I'm not kidding. There are at least six dishes in the menu that
are marked with a trademark symbol.

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
JC Dill
2006-05-01 01:30:00 UTC
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:27:14 -0700, Steve Fenwick
<***@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>ObZagatStyle: F:24 D:18 S:24 C:$35

I don't read Zagat, so would you mind translating?

Thanks!

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Aaron Bergman
2006-05-01 04:30:46 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
JC Dill <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:27:14 -0700, Steve Fenwick
> <***@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>

> >ObZagatStyle: F:24 D:18 S:24 C:$35
>
> I don't read Zagat, so would you mind translating?

Food, Decor, Service, Cost.

Zagat ranks on a 0-30 scale (an average of 0-3 votes in the surveys).

Aaron
Steve Fenwick
2006-05-01 07:03:05 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
JC Dill <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:27:14 -0700, Steve Fenwick
> <***@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>

> >ObZagatStyle: F:24 D:18 S:24 C:$35
>
> I don't read Zagat, so would you mind translating?
>
> Thanks!
>
> jc

Food, Decor, Service, Cost. The text is Zagat-style. This is for readers
who want an "executive summary" review of the style Zagat presents.
Food, Decor, and Service are scored 0-30; for example, French Laundry
scores F:28 D:26 S:27 C:$154; House (1230 Grant, San Francisco) is F:26
D:16 S:21 C:$37; Manresa (Los Gatos) is F:28 D:24 S:25 C:$87; Cascal
(Mountain View) is F:19 D:22 S:17 C:$33.

In case you're wondering who gets Food ratings of 20 an below, it is
predominantly chains like P.F. Chang's, Bucca di Beppo, and Pasta
Pomodoro. Scores below 10 are not reported (or the restaurants are not
listed).

Steve

Max Hauser
2006-05-11 19:24:09 UTC
"Steve Fenwick" in news:nospam-***@news.meer.net:
> . . .
> ObZagatStyle: F:24 D:18 S:24 C:$35
>
> ObHimmel: The furnishings ...
>
> ObBAFoodStyle: ...

Steve, I just read this posting: besides helpful restaurant info, the
multiple styles is a great idea. (Have you posted other restaurant notes
like that?)

I'm reminded of a writer some years ago who took a familiar children's
parable and re-cast it into multiple clichéd styles, Hemingway and so on.

It might be interesting to do such a restaurant posting but in the styles of
multiple ba.food posters.

While I'm on the subject, can someone explain (by mail or posting or link)
the background of this "Ob" stuff? It's _relatively_ recent by ba.food
standards and it surfaced in an interval when I wasn't reading newsgroups
much. Others may be curious too.
Max Hauser
2006-05-11 19:43:09 UTC
I wrote:
> can someone explain (by mail or posting or link) the background of this
> "Ob" stuff?

Got the basic idea, by the way -- Obligatory reference for nominally
offtopic stuff. I'm just curious how it came about.

The "Ob" stuff is part of the current ("Eternal September") era of
newsgroups. Like (but much older than) rants and counter-rants over "top
posting." It's striking to compare the constructive and informative style
of so many postings on this newsgroup during the years when it was basically
the Bay Area's only Internet food forum, against the styles common later,
random example below. There are still some helpful postings today, happily.

--------

From news:251020011738350370%***@got.net:

Todd Michel McComb
2006-05-11 20:21:20 UTC
In article <***@corp.supernews.com>,
Max Hauser <***@THIStdl.com> wrote:
>The "Ob" stuff is part of the current ("Eternal September") era of
>newsgroups.

Not that you said it isn't, but I see the issue of topicality
rather differently from the core "Eternal September" traits which
are associated with immaturity/laziness/rudeness or just plain
mean-spiritedness and appetite for destruction.

I've come to accept that most people want and expect a discussion
forum to include various non-topical tangents amongst the regular
posters who also talk about the main topic. In the old days, I'd've
never done that, but the "everything in its place" mentality isn't
all that widespread generally, and it's not because of issues of
maturity etc., but just personality. People like to use the word
"community" now, and discussion forums which are able to make that
work tend to be more successful.

Of course, in the old days, I wouldn't have been posting in a food
group at all, because I posted only professionally. So I guess
that does bring us back to the "Eternal September" themes... namely,
it became OK for non-experts to post on a topic. If there's anything
we'll never undo, that's the one.
JC Dill
2006-05-12 02:15:12 UTC
On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:43:09 -0700, "Max Hauser"
<***@THIStdl.com> wrote:

>The "Ob" stuff is part of the current ("Eternal September") era of
>newsgroups.

It dates to 1993 or earlier:

<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.beer/msg/3d4f2d999662932b?hl=en&>

Max Hauser
2006-05-12 03:20:33 UTC
"JC Dill" wrote in news:***@4ax.com:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 12:43:09 -0700, "Max Hauser" wrote:
>
>>The "Ob" stuff is part of the current ("Eternal September")
>>era of newsgroups.
>
> It dates to 1993 or earlier:

Thank you JC, yes that's specifically what I meant. I'd checked and seen
the 1993 reference before posting it. (1993, not that synchronism was part
of my point, is one of the dates given for an event that reportedly started
the Eternal September. Another is 1996. Based on the random posted
material I've seen, 1993 strikes me as the less likely. But anyway there
you have it, For What It's Worth.

I was referring to eras; this newsgroup was rarely too particular about
topicality and (as one contributor here mentioned privately) it's nothing
near as bad as the technical newsgroups these days. It seems as though
people discover the newsgroups now and stall on one of them and post
everything there. Especially cranks. Back in the old days (with 100 or so
newsgroups and before the Great Renaming) we had net.flame, where people
posted gripes. Those who did so much on the "topic" newsgroups were
politely told where to go.

Cheers -- Max

--------
"The author gave a quiz to his students at the University of Miami and found
that most couldn't point out France on a map, or for that matter,
ami." -- Barnes and Noble book catalog description for McClintock and
Helgren, _Everything is Somewhere._ (1980s.)
Geoff Miller
2006-05-11 19:47:13 UTC
Max Hauser <***@THIStdl.com> writes:

> While I'm on the subject, can someone explain (by mail
> or posting or link) the background of this "Ob" stuff?

"Ob" is short for "obligatory." It's usually used in an
ironic or tongue-in-cheek manner.

("I'm into analingus," said Tom, tongue in cheek.)

Geoff

--
"If I underfed a janitor, would he cling sucker-mouthed to the
surfaces of my cube, slurping up paper algae?" -- C J Silverio
Steve Pope
2006-05-11 19:50:18 UTC
Geoff Miller <***@netgate.net> wrote:

>Max Hauser <***@THIStdl.com> writes:

>> While I'm on the subject, can someone explain (by mail
>> or posting or link) the background of this "Ob" stuff?

>"Ob" is short for "obligatory." It's usually used in an
>ironic or tongue-in-cheek manner.

I've also heard it described as shorthand for "Oh by the way".

Steve
Al Eisner
2006-05-11 22:36:24 UTC
On Thu, 11 May 2006, Steve Pope wrote:

> Geoff Miller <***@netgate.net> wrote:
>
> >Max Hauser <***@THIStdl.com> writes:
>
> >> While I'm on the subject, can someone explain (by mail
> >> or posting or link) the background of this "Ob" stuff?
>
> >"Ob" is short for "obligatory." It's usually used in an
> >ironic or tongue-in-cheek manner.
>
> I've also heard it described as shorthand for "Oh by the way".
>
> Steve

I believe its early usage (as of the time I caught on, which wasn't
immediately) it was used in the form "ObFood" -- meaning an obligatory
food reference in an otherwise off-topic post. Its use somewhat spread
out from there.

Speaking of odd abbreviations, what is "XANH"? It sounds like a Mexican
radio station.
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Mark Mellin
2006-05-11 23:18:00 UTC
In article
<***@flora02.slac.stanford.edu>,
Al Eisner wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006, Steve Pope wrote:
> > Geoff Miller wrote:

> > >"Ob" is short for "obligatory." It's usually used in an
> > >ironic or tongue-in-cheek manner.
> >
> > I've also heard it described as shorthand for "Oh by the way".
>
> I believe its early usage (as of the time I caught on, which wasn't
> immediately) it was used in the form "ObFood" -- meaning an obligatory
> food reference in an otherwise off-topic post. Its use somewhat spread
> out from there.
>
> Speaking of odd abbreviations, what is "XANH"?

'In Vietnamese, blue and green are denoted by xanh;
blue is specifically described as "xanh like the sky"
and green as "xanh like the leaves".' [1]

ObFood: I, too, recently tried the catfish in clay pot "power lunch" at
XANH. Very tasty. Also, very crowded, though great service.

- Mark

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguishing_%22blue%22_from_%22green%22_in_language>

--
Mark Mellin ULmar 9 - 5470
Mailstop 408-85 Menlo Park, CA 94025-3493 USA
Al Eisner
2006-05-11 23:36:43 UTC
On Thu, 11 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:

> In article
> <***@flora02.slac.stanford.edu>,
> Al Eisner wrote:
> > Speaking of odd abbreviations, what is "XANH"?
>
> 'In Vietnamese, blue and green are denoted by xanh;
> blue is specifically described as "xanh like the sky"
> and green as "xanh like the leaves".' [1]

I see. But why is the restaurant being so emphatic about it (i.e., all
that upper-case)? Maybe it is related to the "power lunch".

> ObFood: I, too, recently tried the catfish in clay pot "power lunch" at
> XANH. Very tasty. Also, very crowded, though great service.

And did you feel more powerful?
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Mark Mellin
2006-05-12 02:23:31 UTC
wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:
> > Al Eisner wrote:
> > > Speaking of odd abbreviations, what is "XANH"?
> >
> > 'In Vietnamese, blue and green are denoted by xanh;
> > blue is specifically described as "xanh like the sky"
> > and green as "xanh like the leaves".' [1]
>
> I see. But why is the restaurant being so emphatic about it (i.e., all
> that upper-case)? Maybe it is related to the "power lunch".

A fair question. The "power lunch" seems to be a bit of a misnomer,
too. Technically it is a $12 lunch special. I was under the impression
that power lunches were expensive write-off affairs shared among the
titans of industry or venture capital.

> > ObFood: I, too, recently tried the catfish in clay pot "power lunch" at
> > XANH. Very tasty. Also, very crowded, though great service.
>
> And did you feel more powerful?

Indeed, I started loudly pitching my new restaurant concept to the group
of realtors seated at the four top next to us; I'm toying with the name:

5145 ANGSTROMS

- Mark

ObExpensiveLunch: Redwood City's new Old Port Lobster Shack, tucked away
in a former Togo's (851 Veterans Boulevard). Tasty lobster rolls, plus
an interesting assortment of taps, including Belmont's Devil's Canyon
Brewing Company, <http://www.devilscanyonbrewery.com/>.
Website: <http://oplobster.com/menu.htm>
Review: <http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/04/21/DDGPHIBTAV1.DTL>

Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Al Eisner
2006-05-12 20:15:57 UTC
On Thu, 11 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:

> In article
> <***@flora02.slac.stanford.edu>, Al Eisner
> wrote:
> > >
> > > 'In Vietnamese, blue and green are denoted by xanh;
> > > blue is specifically described as "xanh like the sky"
> > > and green as "xanh like the leaves".' [1]
> >
> > I see. But why is the restaurant being so emphatic about it (i.e., all
> > that upper-case)? Maybe it is related to the "power lunch".
>
> A fair question. The "power lunch" seems to be a bit of a misnomer,
> too. Technically it is a $12 lunch special. I was under the impression
> that power lunches were expensive write-off affairs shared among the
> titans of industry or venture capital.

Yes, I would expect them at least to serve a "CEO burger", which by the
standards discussed in another thread ought to cost a minimum of $500.

> > > ObFood: I, too, recently tried the catfish in clay pot "power lunch" at
> > > XANH. Very tasty. Also, very crowded, though great service.
> >
> > And did you feel more powerful?
>
> Indeed, I started loudly pitching my new restaurant concept to the group
> of realtors seated at the four top next to us; I'm toying with the name:
>
> 5145 ANGSTROMS

Does the restaurant concept extend yet beyond the name? Rare gases aren't
all that nourishing.

> ObExpensiveLunch: Redwood City's new Old Port Lobster Shack, tucked away
> in a former Togo's (851 Veterans Boulevard). Tasty lobster rolls, plus
> an interesting assortment of taps, including Belmont's Devil's Canyon
> Brewing Company, <http://www.devilscanyonbrewery.com/>.
> Website: <http://oplobster.com/menu.htm>
> Review: <http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/04/21/DDGPHIBTAV1.DTL>

Thanks very much -- I doubt if I would have looked there for a new restaurant.
Versions of some of the menu items can be obtained at Cook's for a lot less.
But I'll have to go for the lobster roll -- I hope the Chron. reviewer's
comparison to Maine is accurate. I also wonder if they can survive in that
location.

Speaking of which, the Togo's that was there some years ago withdrew from
the franchise, but continued to serve essentially the Togo's menu under
their own name. I'm really surprised they got away with it -- I think
they lasted only a year or two, and wouldn't be surprised if some action
by Togo's was involved (although I have no information whatsoever).
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Mark Mellin
2006-05-13 03:24:22 UTC
In article
<***@flora01.slac.stanford.edu>, Al Eisner wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:
> > Al Eisner wrote:

> > > And did you feel more powerful?
> >
> > Indeed, I started loudly pitching my new restaurant concept to the group
> > of realtors seated at the four top next to us; I'm toying with the name:
> >
> > 5145 ANGSTROMS
>
> Does the restaurant concept extend yet beyond the name? Rare gases aren't
> all that nourishing.

A noble observation, thanks. In addition to the obligatory blue-green laser light
show, choreographed to the soundtrack of "Colma: The Musical [1]", I was thinking
that the wine bar could certainly rely on products from Pek Preservation Systems [2].

> > ObExpensiveLunch: Redwood City's new Old Port Lobster Shack, tucked away
> > in a former Togo's (851 Veterans Boulevard).
>
> Thanks very much -- I doubt if I would have looked there for a new restaurant.

I doubt many would have. They park one of their delivery trucks out on the
boulevard, but I wonder how many lobster lovers usually travel along that stretch
of Veterans.

> I also wonder if they can survive in that location.

For lunch business, it's really not that far from the San Mateo County courthouse,
but, yes, I worry over the same thing.

- Mark

[1] <http://www.colmafilm.com/>
[2] <http://www.peksystems.com/>

Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Al Eisner
2006-05-14 00:23:29 UTC
On Fri, 12 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:

> Al Eisner wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:
> > > Indeed, I started loudly pitching my new restaurant concept to the group
> > > of realtors seated at the four top next to us; I'm toying with the name:
> > >
> > > 5145 ANGSTROMS
> >
> > Does the restaurant concept extend yet beyond the name? Rare gases aren't
> > all that nourishing.
>
> A noble observation, thanks. In addition to the obligatory blue-green laser light
> show, choreographed to the soundtrack of "Colma: The Musical [1]",

All singing, all dancing, all dead?

> I was thinking
> that the wine bar could certainly rely on products from Pek Preservation Systems [2].

So, I don't suppose your restaurant would actually serve food? I guess
it's the concept that really matters.

[I know, you changed the subject line to refer to the Lobster Shack, but
that's not what I'm replying to -- at least not until I try it.]

ObSanMateo: I recently made a first serious attempt to try Romolo's for
cannoli, by explicitly passing by on a non-Sunday. But they were one step
ahead of me: on vacation, April 30 to August 7!
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Marcella Peek
2006-05-14 01:17:24 UTC
Has anyone tried it? It got a nice write up in the latest San Francisco
magazine. Sounded pretty good so I put it on my to try list.

marcella
Mark Mellin
2006-05-16 04:31:12 UTC
In article <marcella-***@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Marcella Peek wrote:

> Has anyone tried it? It got a nice write up in the latest San Francisco
> magazine. Sounded pretty good so I put it on my to try list.

Romolo's or Old Port?

My luck has mimicked Al's with respect to visiting Romolo's: I'm either
there on a Sunday or when they are on summer vacation (visiting Italy, I
presume?).

I've tried Old Port twice now, and would return for a fancy lunch.
Their lobster is really quite good, but their service doesn't suit me
for dinner time (order at counter, get served whenever someone gets
around to it). The lobster rolls were very flavorful, a lobster
"club sandwich" less so. On my one dinner visit, I tried their day
boat scallops, which were scrumptious, but I was too put off by the
service and setting to truly enjoy it.

One other east coast treat they offer, seemingly ignored by the
Chronicle's reviewer, is fried full-belly Ispwich clams, available
either as an appetizer ($18.75), or as a large plate ($21.50).

- Mark

Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Al Eisner
2006-05-16 18:58:05 UTC
On Mon, 15 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:

> In article <marcella-***@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> Marcella Peek wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried it? It got a nice write up in the latest San Francisco
> > magazine. Sounded pretty good so I put it on my to try list.
>
> Romolo's or Old Port?
>
> My luck has mimicked Al's with respect to visiting Romolo's: I'm either
> there on a Sunday or when they are on summer vacation (visiting Italy, I
> presume?).
>
> I've tried Old Port twice now, and would return for a fancy lunch.
> Their lobster is really quite good, but their service doesn't suit me
> for dinner time (order at counter, get served whenever someone gets
> around to it). The lobster rolls were very flavorful, a lobster

Did you have their fully-dressed lobster roll, or their plain version?
(They list both on their menu.)

> "club sandwich" less so. On my one dinner visit, I tried their day
> boat scallops, which were scrumptious, but I was too put off by the
> service and setting to truly enjoy it.
>
> One other east coast treat they offer, seemingly ignored by the
> Chronicle's reviewer, is fried full-belly Ispwich clams, available
> either as an appetizer ($18.75), or as a large plate ($21.50).

That is a truly weird appetizer/large plate price ratio. (Or is the
only difference literally the "plate"?)
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Mark Mellin
2006-05-17 04:40:20 UTC
In article <***@flora05.slac.stanford.edu>,
Al Eisner wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006, Mark Mellin wrote:
> >
> > I've tried Old Port twice now, and would return for a fancy lunch.
> > Their lobster is really quite good, but their service doesn't suit me
> > for dinner time (order at counter, get served whenever someone gets
> > around to it). The lobster rolls were very flavorful, ...
>
> Did you have their fully-dressed lobster roll, or their plain version?
> (They list both on their menu.)

I tried their fully-dressed version, though a mayo adverse colleague
was just as impressed with their "naked" roll. He must earn a little more
than I do, as he's suggested adding this place to our weekly lunch rotation.

> > One other east coast treat they offer, seemingly ignored by the
> > Chronicle's reviewer, is fried full-belly Ispwich clams, available
> > either as an appetizer ($18.75), or as a large plate ($21.50).
>
> That is a truly weird appetizer/large plate price ratio. (Or is the
> only difference literally the "plate"?)

Indeed, I was so bewildered by this pricing that I couldn't bring
myself to order either. That said, I later recalled paying a nearly
similar price (as the appetizer) for the same style of clams with "chips",
at lunch on my last visit to the Legal Sea Foods outlet at Boston's Logan
airport.

- Mark

Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Steve Fenwick
2006-05-17 04:50:51 UTC
In article
<markmellin-***@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
Mark Mellin <***@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I've tried Old Port twice now, and would return for a fancy lunch.

How fancy is fancy? How fancy is the dress required?

Thanks!

Steve

Mark Mellin
2006-05-17 06:31:04 UTC
In article <nospam-***@news.meer.net>,
Steve Fenwick wrote:
> Mark Mellin wrote:
> >
> > I've tried Old Port twice now, and would return for a fancy lunch.
>
> How fancy is fancy?

Ah, "special occasion" lunch, to justify the price, would have
been a better choice of words.

> How fancy is the dress required?

Not fancy at all. Seating is "picnic bench" style. Alas, we didn't
note how unattended napkins were dealt with on our visits.

- Mark

Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Alison Chaiken
2006-05-18 03:52:27 UTC
Mark Mellin <***@earthlink.net> writes:
> One other east coast treat they offer, seemingly ignored by the
> Chronicle's reviewer, is fried full-belly Ispwich clams, available
> either as an appetizer ($18.75), or as a large plate ($21.50).

The one East Coast seafood specialty that I really don't miss is the
clams. The farmed clams from Tomales Bay are as tender and flavorful
as those found anywhere. OTOH my Philadelphia-raised mother refused
to eat the mussels during a recent visit to Barbara's Fishtrap in
Princeton. She tried one or two and then pushed the whole plate aside
in disgust. I ate a couple just to see if they were egregiously
prepared, which they weren't. So much for choosing a restaurant to
please out-of-town guests.

--
Alison Chaiken "From:" address above is valid.
(650) 236-2231 [daytime] http://www.wsrcc.com/alison/
-- Pham Van Dong, first prime minister of unified Vietnam, 1976
Glenn S. Tenney KCTJ CISSP CISM
2006-05-14 07:36:51 UTC
In article
<***@flora02.slac.stanford.edu>,
Al Eisner <***@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> ObSanMateo: I recently made a first serious attempt to try Romolo's for
> cannoli, by explicitly passing by on a non-Sunday. But they were one step
> ahead of me: on vacation, April 30 to August 7!

Wow! Closed for three months! In the past Romolo's was a great
place to go for a gelato or granita during the summer...

--
Glenn Tenney KCTJ CISSP CISM
The email address has been altered for display since spam
is not allowed here, but you can figure it out...
Jon Nadelberg
2006-05-14 17:37:14 UTC
Al Eisner wrote:

> ObSanMateo: I recently made a first serious attempt to try Romolo's for
> cannoli, by explicitly passing by on a non-Sunday. But they were one step
> ahead of me: on vacation, April 30 to August 7!

That is so funny. It seems that they are always closed. I thought for
a long time that they were just out of business.

Good luck with that. Try the new place a couple doors down, Little
Biscuits. It's pretty good.
Al Eisner
2006-05-14 21:45:04 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2006, Jon Nadelberg wrote:

> Al Eisner wrote:
> >
> > ObSanMateo: I recently made a first serious attempt to try Romolo's for
> > cannoli, by explicitly passing by on a non-Sunday. But they were one step
> > ahead of me: on vacation, April 30 to August 7!
>
> That is so funny. It seems that they are always closed. I thought for
> a long time that they were just out of business.
>
> Good luck with that. Try the new place a couple doors down, Little
> Biscuits. It's pretty good.

Yes, Li'l Biscuit House. I've been there a couple of times (so far,
following Aahz's example, I've only tried the fried chicken, which may
be the best around).
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Jon Nadelberg
2006-05-15 01:04:24 UTC
Al Eisner wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2006, Jon Nadelberg wrote:
>
>> Al Eisner wrote:
>>> ObSanMateo: I recently made a first serious attempt to try Romolo's for
>>> cannoli, by explicitly passing by on a non-Sunday. But they were one step
>>> ahead of me: on vacation, April 30 to August 7!
>> That is so funny. It seems that they are always closed. I thought for
>> a long time that they were just out of business.
>>
>> Good luck with that. Try the new place a couple doors down, Little
>> Biscuits. It's pretty good.
>
> Yes, Li'l Biscuit House. I've been there a couple of times (so far,
> following Aahz's example, I've only tried the fried chicken, which may
> be the best around).

Yes, that's the one. We tried the ribs, too, and there were good, as well.

We figure that the people who own Romolo's must own the building. Next
door used to be the Sicilian brotherhood association (or something named
like that), so it may be related.

In any case, they don't seem too worried about having to pay rent.
Tony Lima
2006-05-15 01:53:52 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2006 18:04:24 -0700, Jon Nadelberg
<***@nadelberg.com> wrote:

>We figure that the people who own Romolo's must own the building. Next
>door used to be the Sicilian brotherhood association (or something named
>like that), so it may be related.
>
>In any case, they don't seem too worried about having to pay rent.

The above pair of facts are most likely closely intertwined
<g?>. - Tony (who denies any and all inside knowledge of the
situation and is merely trying for a cheap laugh)
evergene
2006-05-17 14:53:17 UTC
Al Eisner wrote:
>ObSanMateo: I recently made a first serious attempt to try Romolo's for
>cannoli, by explicitly passing by on a non-Sunday. But they were one step
>ahead of me: on vacation, April 30 to August 7!

I look forward to your report. Any baker who takes a three-month
vacation must be good.
Mean Green Dancing Machine
2006-05-14 18:04:37 UTC
In article <***@rcn.net>,
Jon Nadelberg <***@nadelberg.com> wrote:

>Good luck with that. Try the new place a couple doors down, Little
>Biscuits. It's pretty good.

Do you mean Lil Biscuit House? We were there for lunch again yesterday,
and the fried chicken is as good as ever, though I was mildly annoyed
that they gave me a breast and drumstick instead of the all-dark meat I
asked for. The green beans weren't quite as good, either.
--
--- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2006 by ***@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/

"so many bad sites, so little time for ridicule" --Selki
(From my noting that the CentOS site requires JS, but the JS link is 404)
Max Hauser
2006-05-15 07:31:38 UTC
"Mean Green Dancing Machine" in news:e47rfl$a4b$***@panix1.panix.com:

> Do you mean Lil Biscuit House? We were there for lunch again yesterday,
> and the fried chicken is as good as ever, though I was mildly annoyed that
> they gave me a breast and drumstick instead of the all-dark meat I asked
> for.

Surely variety is the spice of life. But this place (or these places, if
the other ever reopens) sound interesting, catching the attention of some of
the discriminating palates of ba.food. I want to check it out. -- M
Al Eisner
2006-05-15 19:50:41 UTC
On Mon, 15 May 2006, Max Hauser wrote:

> "Mean Green Dancing Machine" in news:e47rfl$a4b$***@panix1.panix.com:
> >
> > Do you mean Lil Biscuit House? We were there for lunch again yesterday,
> > and the fried chicken is as good as ever, though I was mildly annoyed that
> > they gave me a breast and drumstick instead of the all-dark meat I asked
> > for.
>
> Surely variety is the spice of life. But this place (or these places, if
> the other ever reopens) sound interesting, catching the attention of some of
> the discriminating palates of ba.food. I want to check it out. -- M

In fact, the entire block is full of restaurants, mostly ethnic, and
there's also a mediterranean deli there. (This is 37th Avenue just west
of El Camino.) Someone needs to get busy checking them all out!
--

Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Jon Nadelberg
2006-05-16 01:31:30 UTC
Al Eisner wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006, Max Hauser wrote:
>
>> "Mean Green Dancing Machine" in news:e47rfl$a4b$***@panix1.panix.com:
>>> Do you mean Lil Biscuit House? We were there for lunch again yesterday,
>>> and the fried chicken is as good as ever, though I was mildly annoyed that
>>> they gave me a breast and drumstick instead of the all-dark meat I asked
>>> for.
>> Surely variety is the spice of life. But this place (or these places, if
>> the other ever reopens) sound interesting, catching the attention of some of
>> the discriminating palates of ba.food. I want to check it out. -- M
>
> In fact, the entire block is full of restaurants, mostly ethnic, and
> there's also a mediterranean deli there. (This is 37th Avenue just west
> of El Camino.) Someone needs to get busy checking them all out!

I've been to the Mexican place. Better than El Torrito, but in the same
vein. I prefer taquerias.

I was just at a pretty good place on 25th, though--Shanghai East. It has
some pretty authentic food, and is pretty good. Reasonable prices, too.
They have dim sum at lunch, although it's not the typical kind you
find at ABC Seafood.

Ton of places to eat right around here. It's impossible to get to them all.
Mark Mellin
2006-05-16 04:57:42 UTC
In article <yu-dnXSqU5HptvTZRVn-***@rcn.net>, Jon Nadelberg wrote:
> Al Eisner wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 May 2006, Max Hauser wrote:
> >
> >> "Mean Green Dancing Machine" in news:e47rfl$a4b$***@panix1.panix.com:
> >>
> >> Surely variety is the spice of life. But this place (or these places, if
> >> the other ever reopens) sound interesting, catching the attention of some of
> >> the discriminating palates of ba.food. I want to check it out.

I've yet to try it, but my kid has sworn off KFC now that he's had
Lil Biscuit House's fried chicken.

> > In fact, the entire block is full of restaurants, mostly ethnic, and
> > there's also a mediterranean deli there. (This is 37th Avenue just west
> > of El Camino.) Someone needs to get busy checking them all out!

I should try and visit the deli someday, it looks promising. Somedays,
though, it's just hard to get any further on foot than Antone's Cocktail Lounge
(38 East 37th) before thirst beckons. Also, much like Romolo's, many of
the restaurants seem to keep odd hours (the Japanese place, the Italian deli).

> I've been to the Mexican place. Better than El Torrito, but in the same
> vein.

Fernando's, a family chain with locations also in Fremont and Pleasanton.
Definitely a "bean lake" style of Mexican food, but I found their queso fundido
with chorizo to be quite a tasty/spicy bar snack.

> I prefer taquerias.

El Aguila, next door to the used hubcap emporium (3733 S. El Camino Real),
isn't bad.

> I was just at a pretty good place on 25th, though--Shanghai East. It has
> some pretty authentic food, and is pretty good.

25th Avenue seems to have a nicer selection of restaurants, to include
Shalizaar and La Lanterna.

> Ton of places to eat right around here. It's impossible to get to them all.

Too true.

- Mark

Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Mean Green Dancing Machine
2006-05-16 04:22:54 UTC
In article <***@flora03.slac.stanford.edu>,
Al Eisner <***@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>In fact, the entire block is full of restaurants, mostly ethnic, and
>there's also a mediterranean deli there. (This is 37th Avenue just west
>of El Camino.) Someone needs to get busy checking them all out!

Yeah, but even from the relatively short distance of San Carlos, only
Lil' Biscuit House is worth a commute, AFAICT.

"Creation science" isn't bad science ... it's simply not science at all
Mark Mellin
2006-05-27 06:56:16 UTC
In article
<***@flora03.slac.stanford.edu>, Al Eisner wrote:

> In fact, the entire block is full of restaurants, mostly ethnic, and
> there's also a mediterranean deli there.

Alhana's deli offers lunch and dinner, plus take out:

<http://www.alhana.net/Menu.html>

Table seating is quite limited, but it certainly offers more than the
single outdoor table featured at Aladdin Market (24 E. Hillsdale Blvd).

> (This is 37th Avenue just west
> of El Camino.) Someone needs to get busy checking them all out!

Repaying a Roseville Cattlemen's [1] dinner debt to one of my x-c ski
buddies this evening, we tried to dine at Fusia KTV. Alas, the doors were
locked shut well past seven p.m. After a couple of Stoli martinis at
Antones Cocktail Lounge, we settled on dining at Yuzu Sushi and Grill
(54 West 37th Avenue).

This is a very small, neighborhood place, the sushi bar seats all of six,
and the table seating can handle no more than two dozen as far as I could tell.
We ate at the sushi bar, which has a limited menu, but many white board
specials for fish and sake were posted.

We enjoyed everything we were offered. The fish was quite fresh, and the
sake samplers were very enjoyable. We started out with two appetizers: gyoza
and garlic edamame, and continued on with a variety of tasty sushi. Dinner
for two, including a large Sapporo, and two sets of cold sake samplers, came
in at $90, before tip.

They'll be hosting a Sake Tasting this Saturday, $32 + tax, featuring 5
different sakes: Daiginjyo, Jyunmai Daiginjyo, Hyunmai, Honjyoujyo, and
Nigori) plus "Japanese Style Appetizers."

- Mark

[1] <http://www.beststeakinthewest.com/>

Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Alison Chaiken
2006-05-18 03:45:25 UTC
Mark Mellin <***@earthlink.net> writes:
> Indeed, I started loudly pitching my new restaurant concept to the group
> of realtors seated at the four top next to us; I'm toying with the name:
>
> 5145 ANGSTROMS

I'd go with "ARGON" instead; it's as obscure and sounds trendier
although I guess "ANGSTROMS" is better if your restaurant will be
Scandinavian-themed.

ObFood: On a recent trip to New Mexico, our search for great Mexican
food was largely unsuccessful although we did happen on to one great
place. If anyone finds themself in Williams AZ, I highly recommend
Rosa's Cantina, which has creative and spicy dishes, a large beer
selection, friendly service and patio seating at a reasonable price.

Ken
2006-05-11 23:19:42 UTC
Al Eisner <***@slac.stanford.edu> wrote in
> Speaking of odd abbreviations, what is "XANH"? It sounds like a Mexican
> radio station.

I assume that is not an abbreviation. It probably makes a lot more sense in
Vietnamese.
Steve Fenwick
2006-05-12 06:38:00 UTC
In article <***@corp.supernews.com>,
"Max Hauser" <***@THIStdl.com> wrote:

> "Steve Fenwick" in news:nospam-***@news.meer.net:
> > . . .
> > ObZagatStyle: F:24 D:18 S:24 C:$35
> >
> > ObHimmel: The furnishings ...
> >
> > ObBAFoodStyle: ...
>

> Steve, I just read this posting: besides helpful restaurant info, the
> multiple styles is a great idea. (Have you posted other restaurant notes
> like that?)

Thanks. It just came to me: I wanted to do an "Executive Summary", thus
the "ZagatStyle"; the "ObHimmel" is an inside BAFood joke, having to do
with a feeling (among some BAFooders) that Ms. Himmel posts a lot about
decor and atmosphere, and less about food. The last mode tried to follow
the longer, more typical BAFood review format.

> I'm reminded of a writer some years ago who took a familiar children's
> parable and re-cast it into multiple clichéd styles, Hemingway and so on.
>
> It might be interesting to do such a restaurant posting but in the styles of
> multiple ba.food posters.

Give it a try!

> While I'm on the subject, can someone explain (by mail or posting or link)
> the background of this "Ob" stuff? It's _relatively_ recent by ba.food
> standards and it surfaced in an interval when I wasn't reading newsgroups
> much. Others may be curious too.

I see other posters have covered this more directly. I was using it a
bit more tongue-in-cheek.

Steve