Senzala Brazilian in Sunnvale
Jed
2008-02-24 00:57:01 UTC
Met a friend who works at Yahoo nearby at Senzal Brazilian restuarant
on E. Java Dr. in Sunnyvale for lunch yesterday.

It's in a little mustard and brown strip mall between Mathilda and
Fair Oaks.

The decor is a little off-putting at first if you don't know what to
expect. The restaurant is apparently occupying a space that was once a
sports bar. TVs hang from the ceiling in several locations, however
the sound was low and they were set to what looked to be the Arts
Channel with a opera singer and a classical quintet.

There are foosball tables and a full bar hidden away in the back on
the left side of the restaurant.

A large open space with linoleum tables and pea-soup green chairs
appears to be used as a dance floor at times.

Service appears to be cafeteria style but, in fact, you order from a
smallish menu from the lunch specials Feijoada, Galinha com Polenta,
Bobó de Camarão, and several others (all $10.99). There are also
sandwiches and steaks, chicken, and sausages from the grill.

As my friend and I eyed the large menu with photos on the wall near
the "Order Here" sign, the apparent owner came up and asked if this
was our first visit. I assume he was Brazilian, he looked the part and
had a pleasant Portuguese/Brazilian accent. He seemed very proud of
his restaurant -- a good sign, as was the smell of the food that
permeated the restuarant.

I ordered the Feijoada, I think I got the "j" right with a soft "g"
sound. The server took a ceramic plate loaded it with some rice,
lifted the lid off a steam tray and ladled on the black bean and beef
mixture -- and kept ladling until their was a mound of Feijoada that I
was not going to be able to finish then sprinkled what I believe was
finely grated parmesan or some Brazilizn euivalent. The amoung of food
made the $10.99 for lunch easier to take. Along side she placed some
orange salad and collard greens cooked with obvious chunks of bacon. I
was also give a small cup of "salsa" and instructed to spread it over
the Feijoada.

My friend's order of Galinha com Polenta was good sized chunks of
white chicken meat in a creamy tomato sauce served over a loose
polenta with steamed vegetables. He declared it good and was able to
finish it all off. He also went back to ask for some of the salsa
which turned out to be much like Mexican salsa cruda but made with a
lot more vinegar.

The Feijoada was great for poor man's food and they certainly didn't
skimp on the meat which had been slow cooked and could be cut with a
fork. The salsa went very well with it since neither dish was highly
spiced, but I understand Brazilian food isn't typically spicy.

All-in-all a satisfying and well made lunch. I'd go back and probably
will.

Senzala Brazilian Restaurant
250 E. Java Drive
Sunnyvale, CA
http://www.senzalarestaurant.com
Jed
2008-02-24 03:42:22 UTC
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jed

More wasted effort.
Veronique
2008-02-24 03:52:52 UTC
Post by Jed
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jed
More wasted effort.
Huh?

V.
Veronique Chez Sheep
axlq
2008-02-24 07:03:00 UTC
Post by Jed
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jed
More wasted effort.
Who the hell are you? The OP posted a helpful review.
-A
Aahz Maruch
2008-02-24 16:15:39 UTC
Post by axlq
Post by Jed
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jed
More wasted effort.
Who the hell are you? The OP posted a helpful review.
Jed was the OP, which would have been clear if you read the attributions.
Dunno what's going on.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>
searching for evidence which could support this." --Bertrand Russell
Dan Abel
2008-02-24 18:12:59 UTC
Post by Aahz Maruch
Post by axlq
Post by Jed
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jed
More wasted effort.
Who the hell are you? The OP posted a helpful review.
Jed was the OP, which would have been clear if you read the attributions.
Dunno what's going on.
Clear as mud. I wasted a few minutes of my time, and, sure enough, he
was the OP. There are good reasons why you shouldn't reply to your own
post, with no comment or explanation. There are also good reasons why
you don't delete every single bit of a post you are replying to.

But, like you, "Dunno what's going on".
--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA
***@sonic.net
Todd Michel McComb
2008-02-24 20:29:44 UTC
Post by Dan Abel
But, like you, "Dunno what's going on".
I was guessing that he was referring to the typical political
mudfests which form the meat of this newsgroup, and which he failed
miserably to engage in his food-based post.
Dan Abel
2008-02-25 00:44:08 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Post by Dan Abel
But, like you, "Dunno what's going on".
I was guessing that he was referring to the typical political
mudfests which form the meat of this newsgroup, and which he failed
miserably to engage in his food-based post.
I still "Dunno what's going on". It appears that my news client is
trying to tell me that there was all of three hours between the two
posts.
--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA
***@sonic.net
Todd Michel McComb
2008-02-25 00:43:52 UTC
It appears that my news client is trying to tell me that there was
all of three hours between the two posts.
The amount of time it took to notice and read parts of the ridiculous
Berkeley thread and others, of course....
Jed
2008-02-25 01:07:26 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
It appears that my news client is trying to tell me that there was
all of three hours between the two posts.
The amount of time it took to notice and read parts of the ridiculous
Berkeley thread and others, of course....
Todd got it right. I apologize for being so cryptic.

It's just that I thought posting a review might get a response or two
saying that, contrary to your review, I thought the place was terrible
or discussing other Brazilian restaurants or Brazilian cuisine or
someone would disagree with my critique Amato's cheese steaks in the
other thread.

On the other hand, perhaps I was just in foul mood last night.
Todd Michel McComb
2008-02-25 01:19:15 UTC
Post by Jed
It's just that I thought posting a review might get a response or
two saying that, contrary to your review, I thought the place was
terrible or discussing other Brazilian restaurants or Brazilian
cuisine or someone would disagree with my critique Amato's cheese
steaks in the other thread.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought my Big Sur post might get a
little more substance going, but I guess it won't.

I was interested in your post, but not sure how motivated I was to
go outside of my usual orbit to try the place. I had no knowledge
of it otherwise, so it was nice to find out about.

I also returned to Memphis Minnie's the other day, while visiting
the Toronado Barleywine Festival. I sure do like the BBQ at MM's.
I'm not sure how they do it, but parts of the brisket were, for
want of a better word, caramelized -- and of course, very smoky.
Aahz Maruch
2008-02-25 04:22:40 UTC
Post by Jed
It's just that I thought posting a review might get a response or two
saying that, contrary to your review, I thought the place was terrible
or discussing other Brazilian restaurants or Brazilian cuisine or
someone would disagree with my critique Amato's cheese steaks in the
other thread.
Nobody responded to my post about Absolute, either. <shrug> Despite the
fact that this newsgroup is no longer much of a fun place for discussion
for me, some people like you and me still post good reviews, and to a
large extent, my reviews are pay-forward to the future, for people who
look them up in Gooja.
Peter Lawrence
2008-02-25 06:28:25 UTC
Post by Aahz Maruch
Post by Jed
It's just that I thought posting a review might get a response or two
saying that, contrary to your review, I thought the place was terrible
or discussing other Brazilian restaurants or Brazilian cuisine or
someone would disagree with my critique Amato's cheese steaks in the
other thread.
Nobody responded to my post about Absolute, either. <shrug> Despite the
fact that this newsgroup is no longer much of a fun place for discussion
for me, some people like you and me still post good reviews, and to a
large extent, my reviews are pay-forward to the future, for people who
look them up in Gooja.
I for one appreciate the detail reviews that you, Todd, Jed, and many
others provide to ba.food. But unless I feel I have something
meaningful to add to the initial post, I don't. And especially in
regards to restaurants I've never been to, I really don't know what I
could add as a constructive reply to detailed dinning report.

But just because there might not be additional comments to a dinning
report by other members of this newsgroup, it doesn't mean that the
report is not appreciated. I'm pretty sure that the many people who
regularly read this newsgroup appreciate such reviews beside myself.

- Peter
Todd Michel McComb
2008-02-25 06:44:58 UTC
I'm pretty sure that the many people who regularly read this
newsgroup appreciate such reviews beside myself.
I also agree with Aahz, in that these sorts of posts might well be
valued later, if someone searches for something about a particular
restaurant. I sometimes do this. In fact, I sometimes look up
what I wrote about something, to refresh my memory.
axlq
2008-02-24 21:30:38 UTC
Post by Aahz Maruch
Post by axlq
Who the hell are you? The OP posted a helpful review.
Jed was the OP, which would have been clear if you read the attributions.
Ah. Right. Didn't notice he commented on his own post.

I disagree with him that it was a wasted effort. I enjoyed the
review.

One can't help the silly-season off-topicness; it'll go on until
election day.

-A
David Arnstein
2008-02-25 03:51:10 UTC
Post by Jed
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jed
More wasted effort.
Not so. I appreciated your review, although I could not think of
anything to contribute to the thread that you started.

This is the only Brazilian restaurant in the area, right? Good of you
to announce its existence.

I plan to give this place a try.

ObGeorgeBushLameJoke: How big is a brazillion, anyway?
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+***@pobox.com {{ }}
^^
Todd Michel McComb
2008-02-25 03:59:36 UTC
Post by David Arnstein
This is the only Brazilian restaurant in the area, right?
I'm not sure what "the area" is exactly, but with as many Brazilians
as are around here, I'd expect more. Anyway, there's a Brazilian
restaurant in the hotel just into Palo Alto on El Camino, sort of
across from Trader Vic's. I haven't eaten there. There's also the
Brazilian pizza joint, Pizzale, on El Camino in Mountain View. I've
had several pizzas from there, and recommend it.
David Arnstein
2008-02-25 04:05:36 UTC
... There's also the
Brazilian pizza joint, Pizzale, on El Camino in Mountain View. I've
had several pizzas from there, and recommend it.
Brazilian pizza, interesting thought. I'll have to try it.

Paging Tim May: I am trying to think of a virulently racist, yet funny
joke involving Brazilian pizza. Please contribute.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+***@pobox.com {{ }}
^^
Tim May
2008-02-25 06:08:55 UTC
Post by David Arnstein
... There's also the
Brazilian pizza joint, Pizzale, on El Camino in Mountain View. I've
had several pizzas from there, and recommend it.
Brazilian pizza, interesting thought. I'll have to try it.
Paging Tim May: I am trying to think of a virulently racist, yet funny
joke involving Brazilian pizza. Please contribute.
Just like the way the only good thing about Brazilian women is their
string bikinis, the only good thing about Brazilian pizza is the string
cheese.

Also, for a race which is supposedly part negroid, how come all the
topless Brazilian women have such small tits? Some kind of Indian (the
scalping kind, not the sari kind) interbreeding thang?

Too bad the Italians didn't colonize Brazil. Or the Swedes. Topless
women in thongs--a waste with flat-chested Indian-Negroid mongrels,

--Tim May
Tim May
2008-02-25 05:58:33 UTC
Post by David Arnstein
Post by Jed
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:57:01 -0800, Jed
More wasted effort.
Not so. I appreciated your review, although I could not think of
anything to contribute to the thread that you started.
This is the only Brazilian restaurant in the area, right? Good of you
to announce its existence.
I ate at this restaurant once. It was OK, but nothing super-memorable.
I do remember that the hot sauce was intensely hot, not at all on a par
with the actual meal. Anyone dumping hot sauce on their meals should be
warned that this is intensely hot sauce.

As for it being the only Brazilian restaurant in the area, doubtful. I
recall eating a couple of years ago at a place in Santa Clara,
appoximately south of the "downtown" of Santa Clara (not the El Camino
Real part, but the part south of ECR, bordered on the east by the
University).

The food at this Brazilian place south of U. of Santa Clara was what I
think of as "Cuban peasant food." Lots of rice, black beans, and gloppy
stuff. Like some kind of cafeteria food out of Havana or Sao Paulo.

There are, I think, good reasons why neither Cuban nor Brazilian
cuisine has ever hit it big in America. (I had Cuban food in Miami, and
it was also mostly peasant fare. When Americans go out to eat, they
want something memorable, not just plantains, beans, rice, and a small
amount of meat, all in gloppy sauce.)

One of my Thursday lunch friends mentioned that this Brazilian place in
Santa Clara has closed. No surpise here.

--Tim May
Steve Pope
2008-02-25 06:00:34 UTC
There's been a Brazilian Pizza place in Berkeley for at
leave 25 years. (Nino's, I believe it's called.)

Steve
Jeff Lanam
2008-03-01 04:09:41 UTC
Post by Jed
Met a friend who works at Yahoo nearby at Senzal Brazilian restuarant
on E. Java Dr. in Sunnyvale for lunch yesterday.
Too bad it's only open for weekday lunches, according to the web site.