Ca Mau (San Jose)
Nathan Lau
2005-05-23 22:11:53 UTC
Some friends of ours took us to this restaurant on the recommendation of
one of their friends. The specialty is Bun Bo Hue, a spicy-tart beef
noodle soup dish. The noodles are different from regular Pho noodles -
these are more thick. (I liken them to Penang Laksa-type rice noodles.)

The restaurant is located in a mall at the corner of Quimby and White in
East San Jose, next to the Kragen Auto Parts store. It's in the space
formerly occupied by Dragonfly Vietnamese restaurant.

The place was quite full at lunch time. Wait was about 15 minutes for
our larger party, but there were some tables available for parties of 4
or less. It seemed like everyone around us was ordering Bun Bo Hue.

We got the small bowl ($4.50) but our hosts got the large ($6.50). We
also ordered a chow mein dish plus some drinks and desserts.

We didn't have to wait long for them to serve our food, even with a
crowded house. The soup smelled wonderful, and the first taste confirmed
our expectations. Great flavor and a nice heat. The meats included
beef brisket, tendon, and pig's blood (you can order it without). You
could tell that they weren't skimping on quality. Our "small" bowls
were more than enough for us.

The restaurant has been open for 4 months. It is a family operation,
with the mother as head cook and the offspring and other relatives serving.

We will definitely go back.

Ca Mau Vietnamese Restaurant
2847 S. White Rd, Suite 110
San Jose 95148

Open Tues-Sunday, 9 - 9
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Eddie
2005-05-24 17:15:08 UTC
On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:11:53 GMT, Nathan Lau
Post by Nathan Lau
Some friends of ours took us to this restaurant on the recommendation of
one of their friends.
The restaurant has been open for 4 months. It is a family operation,
with the mother as head cook and the offspring and other relatives serving.
We will definitely go back.
Ca Mau Vietnamese Restaurant
2847 S. White Rd, Suite 110
San Jose 95148
Open Tues-Sunday, 9 - 9
Thanks for your report Nate. We love Vietnamese food and will
certainly check out this new place.
Have you visited the Viet. restaurant on Tully, just W. of McLaughlin?
It's in the same location as the Weinershnitzel. I like it, great
taste, equally great prices. When I pass the place you can always
smell that bbq aroma as it wafts out of the exhausts. (sorry can't
recall the name)
Eddie
Nathan Lau
2005-05-24 17:53:54 UTC
Post by Nathan Lau
[...]
You're talking about that broken rice place, I think it's called Dat
Thanh? It's the best broken rice place in SJ, IMO. Good food, good
value, always crowded (which is a good sign).
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
The Ranger
2005-05-24 18:11:39 UTC
Nathan Lau <***@sbcglobaldot.net> wrote in message news:SSJke.1255$***@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
[snip]
Post by Nathan Lau
You're talking about that broken rice place,
What's "broken rice?"

The Ranger
Michael Sierchio
2005-05-24 18:11:57 UTC
Post by The Ranger
[snip]
Post by Nathan Lau
You're talking about that broken rice place,
What's "broken rice?"
Rice pieces that get swept up off the floor in the mill. ;-)

Actually, it's produced intentionally now -- think Jasmine rice,
but with each grain milled and broken it 2 or 3 pieces. Different
texture and taste, very nice.
Nathan Lau
2005-05-25 17:24:31 UTC
Post by Michael Sierchio
Post by The Ranger
[snip]
Post by Nathan Lau
You're talking about that broken rice place,
What's "broken rice?"
Rice pieces that get swept up off the floor in the mill. ;-)
Actually, it's produced intentionally now -- think Jasmine rice,
but with each grain milled and broken it 2 or 3 pieces. Different
texture and taste, very nice.
We went again last night because MIL wanted the Bun Bo Hue again. We
showed up at 8:30 and were seated right away. People kept coming in,
even after the 9:00 closing time. Our waiter, was very pleasant,
attentive, and efficient.

DW and I didn't feel like Bun Bo Hue, so I got a broken rice plate with
pork chops and shredded pork ($5.95) and DW got an egg noodle soup dish
w/ seafood (also $5.95). Both were /passable/ but not spectacular.

IOW, if you're going to a Vietnamese restaurant known for one dish,
stick with that dish.
--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Nathan Lau
2005-05-25 18:43:58 UTC
Post by Nathan Lau
We went again last night because MIL wanted the Bun Bo Hue again. We
showed up at 8:30 and were seated right away. People kept coming in,
even after the 9:00 closing time. Our waiter, was very pleasant,
attentive, and efficient.
Oh, and pics are on alt.binaries.food
--
Aloha,