The Grill House, Redwood Shores
Al Eisner
2015-08-26 23:09:02 UTC
Some evolution of restaurants at the Redwood Shores Marketplace in the
last year or so: (1) The Chinese place (which I never went to, in part
because its name, "Yeah" was off-putting) has been replaced by a place
called The Grill House (see below). (2) The Malay restaurant (which
had pretty good food, but inadequate service) has been replaced by a
new Chinese restaurant, which I also do not intend to patronize, in
this case because a large sign outside reads "Super-delicious Chinese
cuisine". (3) There's now a felafel shop, which seems popular (I
haven't tried it yet), in I think the same space which once housed
Milkshake Werks (which I miss, because it had by far the best
frozen yogurt in the area). Unchanged eateries are Amici's, Una Mas,
Togo's, and a very mediocre Japanese restaurant.

Anyway, I've now tried The Grill House, http://www.grillhousebar.com/,
twice for lunch. It has somewhat of the feel of a chain place, but
is apparently a one-off. I've tried t heir pulled pork sandwich
(rather nice, with some excellent flavor provided by a thick dark
barbecue sauce) and a pesto chicken panini (a nice mix of ingredients,
including roasted bell pepers, which, however, could not overcome the
dryness of the chicken), both on good bread. The sides I tried were
a very good mixed-greens salad (they advertise locally-sourced
ingredients, and this fresh salad was a good illustration) and
okay (but not outstanding) fries. [They offer a special BBQ menu
for August, and I was thinking of trying the brisket listed there,
but I wondered what sort of BBQ would be August-only, and asked
how their BBQ was done. My waitress said it was all grilled, so
I passed on the brisket.] Service is good, no shortage of staff.

So, not a great find, but I'll probably visit it again, just for
some variety. (I haven't yet tried their burgers.) For me, the
Amici's remains the star of this shopping center. (In my limited
experience, Amici's varies outlet-to-outlet, and this is a good one.)
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Stef
2015-09-14 18:47:33 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
So, not a great find, but I'll probably visit it again, just for
some variety. (I haven't yet tried their burgers.)
The Grill House is on my list of places where I can get a satisfying
hamburger. Other Peninsula places on the list are Godfather's, The
Counter Burger, and Franklin Street Cafe.
--
Stef ** ***@cat-and-dragon.com **
** firecat.dreamwidth.org ** fatfriendlydocs.com **
send Karl Marx pillows to your house. -- sabotabby
Al Eisner
2015-09-14 21:32:49 UTC
Post by Stef
Post by Al Eisner
So, not a great find, but I'll probably visit it again, just for
some variety. (I haven't yet tried their burgers.)
The Grill House is on my list of places where I can get a satisfying
hamburger. Other Peninsula places on the list are Godfather's, The
Counter Burger, and Franklin Street Cafe.
Good to know. I don't typically have hamburgers at restaurants
(since they are so easy at home), but I do like Jeffrey's in Menlo
Park. I've pretty much given up on the Palo Alto (California Ave.)
branch of The Counter: they have great trouble getting the
"doneness" as ordered, and the staff seems to be far more interested
in carrying on conversations (with customers they apparently know,
or with other staff) than in actually providing service.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
sms
2015-09-14 23:34:53 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
In article
Post by Al Eisner
So, not a great find, but I'll probably visit it again, just for
some variety. (I haven't yet tried their burgers.)
The Grill House is on my list of places where I can get a satisfying
hamburger. Other Peninsula places on the list are Godfather's, The
Counter Burger, and Franklin Street Cafe.
Good to know. I don't typically have hamburgers at restaurants
(since they are so easy at home), but I do like Jeffrey's in Menlo
Park. I've pretty much given up on the Palo Alto (California Ave.)
branch of The Counter: they have great trouble getting the
"doneness" as ordered, and the staff seems to be far more interested
in carrying on conversations (with customers they apparently know,
or with other staff) than in actually providing service.
They are about to open a franchise of The Counter near me. I give it one
year. Not a good location for such a place.
Stef
2015-09-15 19:57:56 UTC
I've pretty much given up on the Palo Alto (California Ave.) branch of The Counter
Yeah I go to the one near Hillsdale Mall. Main drawback is that it's
very noisy at peak times.
--
Stef ** ***@cat-and-dragon.com **
** firecat.dreamwidth.org ** fatfriendlydocs.com **
**
Hell is an idea first born on an undigested apple-dumpling. -- Hermann
Melville, Moby-Dick
Al Eisner
2015-09-15 20:16:07 UTC
Post by Stef
I've pretty much given up on the Palo Alto (California Ave.) branch of The Counter
Yeah I go to the one near Hillsdale Mall. Main drawback is that it's
very noisy at peak times.
Since I've only been to the Palo Alto branch, my default assumption
(barring other evidence) is that other branches have the same
problems. But of course it could well be just a management issue
with the particular branch.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it
enables one to find or make a Reason for everything one has a mind
to do." >>> Benjamin Franklin (Autobiography)
Peter Lawrence
2015-09-16 08:35:17 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Stef
I've pretty much given up on the Palo Alto (California Ave.) branch of The Counter
Yeah I go to the one near Hillsdale Mall. Main drawback is that it's
very noisy at peak times.
Since I've only been to the Palo Alto branch, my default assumption
(barring other evidence) is that other branches have the same
problems. But of course it could well be just a management issue
with the particular branch.
I've been to multiple branches of The Counter. Based on how you described
that service you got, it appears that you visited the Cal Ave branch during
a weekday afternoon.

Your remarks from your first post about The Counter, “...and the staff seems
to be far more interested in carrying on conversations (with customers they
apparently know, or with other staff) than in actually providing service.”
hit it *right on the mark*. I've experienced the exact same frustration at
*THAT ONE* location, especially on weekday afternoons.

Fortunately, other The Counter locations (including the one in Mountain View
near Los Altos and Palo Alto) I've eaten at, the service has been a lot
better. I never had eaten at the one located in the Hillsdale Mall, though.
Most of the other Counters I've eaten at have been located in Southern
California.

- Peter