[Ping] Allison: Greek in Fremont?
The Ranger
2003-11-01 18:15:42 UTC
I was driving down 17 half-listening to the radio when an ad for "Saki's
Greek restaurant in Fremont" caught my attention. It sounded interesting but
I didn't find anything in Google or Yahoo's YP. [Side Note: Several
alternative guesses at spelling the restaurant's name didn't net anything
either.]

Would you happen to know anything about it?

The Ranger
"Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."
Karen O'Mara
2003-11-03 20:31:12 UTC
Post by The Ranger
I was driving down 17 half-listening to the radio when an ad for "Saki's
Greek restaurant in Fremont" caught my attention. It sounded interesting but
I didn't find anything in Google or Yahoo's YP. [Side Note: Several
alternative guesses at spelling the restaurant's name didn't net anything
either.]
Would you happen to know anything about it?
I know you didn't ping me and I didn't google it but I think the
correct spelling for Sakis is with the "s" at the end. Sakis's Greek
Restaurant or Sakis' Greek Restaurant?... anyway, I think there's an s
on the end of that name.

Karen
Ed Swierk
2003-11-03 21:48:58 UTC
Post by The Ranger
I was driving down 17 half-listening to the radio when an ad for "Saki's
Greek restaurant in Fremont" caught my attention. It sounded interesting but
I didn't find anything in Google or Yahoo's YP. [Side Note: Several
alternative guesses at spelling the restaurant's name didn't net anything
either.]
Googling for "greek restaurant fremont" led me to
http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__States/California/Metropolitan_Areas/San_Francisco_Bay_Area/Entertainment_and_Arts/Restaurants/Greek/
which in turn lists Spin-a-Yarn, owned by a Saki Kavouniaris or
Kavournairis, depending on which part of the web site you believe. The
menu looks vaguely Mediterranean.

--Ed
--
Ed Swierk
eswierk-***@cs.stanford.edu
Alison Chaiken
2003-11-09 02:03:24 UTC
Post by The Ranger
I was driving down 17 half-listening to the radio when an ad for
"Saki's Greek restaurant in Fremont" caught my attention.
Never heard of it, nor can I find it in our local phone book.
Post by The Ranger
Googling for "greek restaurant fremont" led me to [ . . . ]
Spin-a-Yarn, owned by a Saki Kavouniaris or Kavournairis, depending
on which part of the web site you believe.
I actively disliked Spin-A-Yarn, which we have tried only once. We
went there once after we'd been hiking, expecting a nice neighborly
Greek place with Formica counters. Instead we were a bit embarassed
to find a somewhat upscale Sizzler-like restaurant with a
corresponding menu. There was exactly one Greek-sounding item
available, which was called "lemon chicken" or something similar. The
chicken was flavored with a bitter sauce that was not at all to my
liking.

Spin-A-Yarn is near Navlet's on Warm Springs Boulevard. It's the kind
of restaurant where the Elks and Kiwanis meet and where your Dad's
"full cleveland" wouldn't look out of place. Spin-A-Yarn sponsors
charity fundraisers golf tournaments, which I'm sure is a nice thing
to do, but is not a characteristic often associated with restaurants
we regularly patronize.

OTOH, we do have two fine Lebanese restaurants in Fremont: the
strangely named City Grill in the Hub, and Habibi's in Irvington near
Safeway. Both have items often associated with Greek restaurants
(stuff grape leaves, lamb, baklava, etc.) and I'm sure that neither
sponsors a golf tournament.
--
Alison Chaiken "From:" address above is valid.
(650) 236-2231 [daytime] http://www.wsrcc.com/alison/