whatever happend to Yan Can Cook restaurant?
tangxiaodi
2005-12-15 10:03:25 UTC
Have not seen Yan Can restaurants anymore? what happend?
what about Long Life noodle club? what happend to them as well?
Eric Ferguson
2005-12-15 16:25:35 UTC
There's still one in Pleasant Hill. Never have eaten there. Others who have
said it was too spicy and too salty for them.As to the Long Life noodle
club, never heard of it.
ll
2005-12-15 18:50:05 UTC
Post by Eric Ferguson
There's still one in Pleasant Hill. Never have eaten there.
Others who have said it was too spicy and too salty for them.
I've eaten there. I didn't find it too spicy or salty.
Nothing particularly wrong with it, just not special.

ch wrote;
Post by Eric Ferguson
whatever happened to Yan? (He used to have a TV show
Still on PBS. Every weekend, and possibly some week nights.
There are several different shows. We like them all,
but we really like the one where he visits different
cities in Asia.

Many of the well known chefs are only on PBS, not on FoodTV.
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
2005-12-15 17:47:10 UTC
To my knowledge, there is still a Long Life Noodle at the Metreon
in SF. But it wouldn't surprise me if it closed in other areas of the
Bay Area. (I think the only reason it stayed opened is b/c of the
theater and convention crowds.)

Cheers,
Joanna
--
Reply to me at "jramberg" at <that email site at Microsoft>
Don't want no scrubs (or SPAM!!!) :-)
Mean Green Dancing Machine
2005-12-15 17:48:07 UTC
Post by Joanna Tsang Ramberg
To my knowledge, there is still a Long Life Noodle at the Metreon
in SF. But it wouldn't surprise me if it closed in other areas of the
Bay Area. (I think the only reason it stayed opened is b/c of the
theater and convention crowds.)
There's one in Stanford shopping center.

BTW, is there some reason you're top-posting?
--
--- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2005 by ***@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/

"Don't listen to schmucks on USENET when making legal decisions. Hire
yourself a competent schmuck." --USENET schmuck (aka Robert Kern)
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
2005-12-16 04:45:53 UTC
Post by Mean Green Dancing Machine
Post by Joanna Tsang Ramberg
To my knowledge, there is still a Long Life Noodle at the Metreon
in SF. But it wouldn't surprise me if it closed in other areas of the
Bay Area. (I think the only reason it stayed opened is b/c of the
theater and convention crowds.)
There's one in Stanford shopping center.
BTW, is there some reason you're top-posting?
No reason... Why? Did I miss some sort of an posting etiquette rule?
(Switching to bottom in case I am...)

Cheers,
Joanna
--
Reply to me at "jramberg" at <that email site at Microsoft>
Don't want no scrubs (or SPAM!!!) :-)
Chester
2005-12-16 17:33:39 UTC
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:45:53 GMT, Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Post by Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Post by Mean Green Dancing Machine
BTW, is there some reason you're top-posting?
No reason... Why? Did I miss some sort of an posting etiquette rule?
(Switching to bottom in case I am...)
Yeah. Every once in a while, people get chided for it. It's been a
while.

I remember a really apocalyptic thread about it a while back. I used
to be insanely militant about it, but now with bandwidth so much
wider, I've given it up.

Still irks me when I see someone posting atop a *long* message, but
when someone posts atop a short one (like you did, Joanna), I don't
think annoyance even passes through my mind these days.

Anyway: general etiquette, for those who care, is that one posts below
quoted text. An important corollary to this rule is that one prunes
quoted text to provide only the necessary context.

Chester
Max Hauser
2005-12-16 21:09:55 UTC
I think this is worth spending a moment on, because the subject and its
context are often misrepresented (however unintentionally).
Post by Chester
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:45:53 GMT, Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Post by Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Post by Mean Green Dancing Machine
BTW, is there some reason you're top-posting?
No reason... Why? Did I miss some sort of an posting
etiquette rule? (Switching to bottom in case I am...)
Yeah. Every once in a while, people get chided for it.
. . .
Anyway: general etiquette, for those who care, is that one posts below
quoted text.
-- Since about 2000, that is, and the particular generation of news reader
software that elevated this issue and got under some people's skin.* You
can even check (if you are unusually patient and open-minded) and learn that
this etiquette mostly concerns relatively recent (few-year) rather than
longtime posters, though with exceptions. (Further history reprised below,
whose upshot is that the issue did not exist for the first 20 years of
newsgroup history but surfaced only in the last five, among populations and
software active in this interval.)
Post by Chester
An important corollary to this rule is that one prunes quoted text to
provide only the necessary context.
That principle is very important and goes deep, appearing not just in
RFC1855 (published 1995, and which anyone seeing this has presumably read,
or can easily read, being as it's roughly the Strunk and White of online
fora, cited by almost every related tutorial ever written) but long before
that, in standard net-etiquette guidelines posted publicly from 1982, which
evolved to RFC1855. The principle appears separately in multiple parts of
RFC1855 (such as 2.1.1, 3.1.1., and 3.1.3). As a further note of possible
net-historical interest, some people in the last few years have tried to
read anti- "top posting" advice into RFC1855 retroactively. Though this is
partly absurd given that RFC1855 predated the "top posting" concern by about
five years,* the granule of truth in it is worth amplifying. 3.1.1 pph 10
proposes constructively (not proscriptively like the anti- "top posting"
admonitions) that people should summarize past-posting context at the
beginning of a reply. To fully "get" that pph though (in the way that the
rhetorical exploitation of it does not), you must appreciate the variable
transit times that plagued newsgroup postings for the 15 years preceding
RFC1855. Simultaneous postings routinely arrived hours, or days, apart (the
familiar "time warp," which slowly faded). Thus people would often see
replies before the originals, and others would not understand what someone
replied to. The RFC1855 paragraph itself summarizes its point: "Giving
context helps everyone. But do not include the entire original!"

Apart from all this background, some people lately don't like "top posting"
and will complain. According to RFC1855 (and also in my opinion) the more
serious issue is when postings omit needed context or (more often today)
stupidly include huge past articles intact to add a few lines of reply.
Here I mean the ancient sense of stupid, as in stupor, or daze.

Hope this helps! -- Max

"Content of a follow-up post should exceed quoted content." -- RFC1855

--------
*Re-posted from some time ago on rec.food.cooking (words are mine):

(This article is not an example of that but of embedded quotation, one of
several venerable formats preceding that issue.) . . . Prior to late 1999,
most references to "top post" in the Google archive have unrelated meaning,
such as the top post of the week.
Tim May
Max Hauser
2005-12-16 21:35:07 UTC
I should have included this link, to the original verion of RFC1855
(including headers, unlike a cuter typeset version that appeared later).

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1855.html
c***@socal.rr.com
2005-12-15 18:17:18 UTC
Post by tangxiaodi
Have not seen Yan Can restaurants anymore? what happend?
what about Long Life noodle club? what happend to them as well?
Hell, whatever happened to Yan? (He used to have a TV show, sort of
like
Emeril, but Chinese....)
Peter Lawrence
2005-12-15 18:47:55 UTC
Post by c***@socal.rr.com
Post by tangxiaodi
Have not seen Yan Can restaurants anymore? what happend?
what about Long Life noodle club? what happend to them as well?
Hell, whatever happened to Yan? (He used to have a TV show, sort of
like
Emeril, but Chinese....)
He still does. His new show is called: Martin Yan Quick & Easy. It
airs on Saturday mornings on Channel 9.

- Peter
Max Hauser
2005-12-15 20:07:41 UTC
Post by c***@socal.rr.com
Hell, whatever happened to Yan?
He's alive and well and shows up locally. (He was dining at Alexander's
Steakhouse in Cupertino not long ago for instance. One of the meals I
reported here.)
Dan Abel
2005-12-15 21:45:32 UTC
Post by c***@socal.rr.com
Hell, whatever happened to Yan? (He used to have a TV show, sort of
like
Emeril, but Chinese....)
I'm trying to get my head around this one. What's the difference? I
can't figure it out. I just know that I liked to watch the Martin Yan
show, and I just can't stand Emeril.

Maybe it is just age. People get weird as they get old. Maybe I've
just lost it. I was much younger when I watched Martin Yan. Now Emeril
is on way too often.
--
Dan Abel
***@sonic.net
Petaluma, California, USA
Al Eisner
2005-12-16 00:03:38 UTC
Post by tangxiaodi
Have not seen Yan Can restaurants anymore? what happend?
Their web site lists three of them, and says more are coming. Have you
been somewhere where one closed?
Post by tangxiaodi
what about Long Life noodle club? what happend to them as well?
There's a Long Life Noodle at the Stanford Shopping Center. It doesn't
seem like the sort of place to have a "club", but who knows.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Jon Nadelberg
2005-12-16 03:03:55 UTC
One was being built in San Mateo, but work stopped and it never opened.
Steve Pope
2005-12-16 03:50:21 UTC
Post by Jon Nadelberg
Post by Al Eisner
Their web site lists three of them, and says more are coming. Have you
been somewhere where one closed?
One was being built in San Mateo, but work stopped and it never opened.
I believe the one in El Cerrito Plaza is now gone.

S.
Mark Mellin
2005-12-16 18:20:25 UTC
In article
Post by Al Eisner
Post by tangxiaodi
Have not seen Yan Can restaurants anymore? what happend?
Their web site lists three of them, and says more are coming. Have you
been somewhere where one closed?
The one planned for San Mateo's Park Place either never materialized
or came and went so fast that I missed it ever being open.

In other news of empty San Mateo restaurant space, this item appeared
in the SFExaminer back in September:

from
<http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/09/07/news/20050907_pe01_transit.txt>

"The city is still in negotiations to bring a franchise of
The Melting Pot restaurant to the 3,000-square-foot north
building of the [downtown San Mateo] transit center. Beyer
said he hopes to bring a lease to the City Council for approval
in October. The Melting Pot, a fondue chain, has about 70
restaurants nationwide, according to its Web site."

A recent visit didn't show any signs of progress, save for a
FOR LEASE sign on the windows.

- Mark
--
Mark Mellin ULmar 9 - 5470
Mailstop 408-85 Menlo Park, CA 94025-3493 USA
Tim May
2005-12-16 19:06:03 UTC
Post by Mark Mellin
The one planned for San Mateo's Park Place either never materialized
or came and went so fast that I missed it ever being open.
In other news of empty San Mateo restaurant space, this item appeared
from
<http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/09/07/news/20050907_pe01_transit.txt>
"The city is still in negotiations to bring a franchise of
The Melting Pot restaurant to the 3,000-square-foot north
building of the [downtown San Mateo] transit center. Beyer
said he hopes to bring a lease to the City Council for approval
in October. The Melting Pot, a fondue chain, has about 70
restaurants nationwide, according to its Web site."
A recent visit didn't show any signs of progress, save for a
FOR LEASE sign on the windows.
Maybe due to the whip-saw effects of the Atkins Diet craze
ups-and-downs.

"Fondue...nothing but good, greasy, protein-laden cheese...skip the
bread and use Teriyaki Jerky sticks instead! Double your protein high!

Whoops.

(My brother in LA told me the fast food places there are no longer
offering the "two giant meat patties, wrapped in lettuce" as they did
during the final months of the Atkins Hysteria.)

--Tim May
Mark Mellin
2005-12-21 17:48:13 UTC
Post by Tim May
Post by Mark Mellin
In other news of empty San Mateo restaurant space, this item appeared
from
<http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/09/07/news/20050907_pe01_transit.txt>
"The city is still in negotiations to bring a franchise of
The Melting Pot restaurant to the 3,000-square-foot north
building of the [downtown San Mateo] transit center.
[ snip ]
A recent visit didn't show any signs of progress, save for a
FOR LEASE sign on the windows.
Maybe due to the whip-saw effects of the Atkins Diet craze
ups-and-downs.
"Fondue...nothing but good, greasy, protein-laden cheese...skip the
bread and use Teriyaki Jerky sticks instead! Double your protein high!
Whoops.
Well, it may not be a total loss, food-wise, if another restaurant
someday leases the space. Here are some recent comments from the SF
Chronicle on their Larkspur Landing branch:

Melting Pot offers fun twist on dining experience
Amanda Gold, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, December 16, 2005

"I remember taking a seventh-grade field trip to a New York City
fondue restaurant, where my French teacher lectured our class on
the experience we were about to have. She explained that people
don't go out to fondue restaurants just for the food, but more for
the company, the action and the surroundings.

"After three visits to the Melting Pot in Larkspur, a local franchise
of a national chain, I agree on one thing for sure -- people go for
the experience over the food.

continued at:
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/16/NBGGNG76MO1.DTL>

- Mark
Steve Fenwick
Friday, December 16, 2005
"I remember taking a seventh-grade field trip to a New York City
fondue restaurant, where my French teacher lectured our class on
the experience we were about to have. She explained that people
don't go out to fondue restaurants just for the food, but more for
the company, the action and the surroundings.
"After three visits to the Melting Pot in Larkspur, a local franchise
of a national chain, I agree on one thing for sure -- people go for
the experience over the food.
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/16/NBGGNG76MO1.DTL>
Hmm...fondue on induction? No flames? Where's the fun there?

Many of the comments about the food suggest that, food-wise, it's not
one's best bet. It's an "experience"/group-party place, and one best
done on an expense account. At an average take of about $50 per head,
there are probably a lot of places that offer as good an "experience"
along with better food.

But please, someone with an expense account, go check this out :)

Steve
--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Chester
2005-12-16 17:39:38 UTC
Post by tangxiaodi
Have not seen Yan Can restaurants anymore? what happend?
what about Long Life noodle club? what happend to them as well?
As others have said, Long Life is still around. Didn't know they had
any affiliation with Martin Yan, though.

As far as I know, there's still a "Yan Can" [1] in Santa Clara, in the
Rivermark development. I don't care for the food at all and think it
presents a poor value.

I remember that he was supposedly going to do a high-end thing at
Santana Row and seem to remember seeing this being trumpeted on a
construction wall there, but they're all built out now and he doesn't
have a restaurant there. I think that it was the space that has become
Sino, so maybe he has something to do with it still, though I can't
imagine why Chris Yeo of Straits would want Martin Yan on board for
restaurant advice or even name recognition.

Finally, as a side-note, Yan came up in conversation a little while
back and my father says that he doesn't have much of a Chinese accent
when speaking English away from the cameras.

Chester

[1] He should call them "Yan Cantinas", I think.