Geoff Miller
Julian Macassey
2015-05-21 15:44:02 UTC
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
--
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
David Arnstein
2015-05-21 16:46:13 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
I enjoyed Geoff's hell-raising posts to usenet. Sad news.
--
David Arnstein (00)
arnstein+***@pobox.com {{ }}
^^
m***@gmail.com
2015-05-21 16:47:19 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
I'm very sad to hear that. I took all kinds of issues with his opinions, but doing so was always entertaining, and he gave as good as he got. I hope he had dear people around him.

(Thanks to Gene for alerting me to this.)

meg
evergene
2015-05-21 19:18:07 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
I'm very sad to hear that. I took all kinds of issues with his opinions, but doing so was always entertaining, and he gave as good as he got. I hope he had dear people around him.
(Thanks to Gene for alerting me to this.)
You always treated Geoff with respect, and he seemed to respect you,
even as his acid tongue sometimes went unchecked.
Steve Pope
2015-05-22 04:08:00 UTC
Rats. Geoff was a great Usenetter. RIP Geoff.

Steve
Julian Macassey
2015-05-21 23:29:00 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on Tuesday
May 19 of cancer.
I'm very sad to hear that. I took all kinds of issues with his
opinions, but doing so was always entertaining, and he gave as
good as he got. I hope he had dear people around him.
His younger brother provided support and comfort.
--
"We can’t be successful unless we lie to customers.” Larry
Ellison to Bruce Scott.
Mike D.
2015-05-21 16:53:40 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
Too bad. The world needs people who do not suffer fools gladly.
Not that long ago we discussed the prevalence of lesbians in the
Santa Cruz mountains.

Will there be a memorial, perhaps at the White Cockade?

At least this will put to rest the notion that Julian is Geoff's
sockpuppet.
Sqwertz
2015-05-21 23:02:02 UTC
Post by Mike D.
At least this will put to rest the notion that Julian is Geoff's
sockpuppet.
Well, Julian did post the announcement...

-sw <ducking>
Julian Macassey
2015-05-21 23:31:22 UTC
On Thu, 21 May 2015 09:53:40 -0700 (PDT), Mike D.
Post by Mike D.
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
Too bad. The world needs people who do not suffer fools gladly.
Not that long ago we discussed the prevalence of lesbians in the
Santa Cruz mountains.
Will there be a memorial, perhaps at the White Cockade?
I believe it is no more.

But his brother told me he is planning something.
Post by Mike D.
At least this will put to rest the notion that Julian is Geoff's
sockpuppet.
That's what you think.
--
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Sqwertz
2015-05-21 17:01:48 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
Sorry to hear that. He was a great Usenet Kook Generator.

Now we'll need a new third person to fill the gap of the, "Three
Smartest Men on Usenet".

-sw
Cabrito del Bosque
It ain't going to be you or Marty, trust me.
Mark Lipton
2015-05-21 18:05:39 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
RIP

Mark Lipton
Peter Lawrence
2015-05-21 18:22:03 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
So sad to hear. He wrote very entertaining posts.

RIP

- Peter
Al Eisner
2015-05-21 19:35:39 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
So sad to hear. He wrote very entertaining posts.
RIP
Agreed. His posts were highly argumentative, often (to my mind)
wrong-headed, but always worth interacting with (although toward
the end of his ba.food time he seemed to have lost some of his
touch).
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Ciccio
2015-05-21 20:16:47 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
Though it's been about 2-3 years since Geoff posted hereabouts, I
appreciate the fun recollections I have of jousting with him hereabouts
for the many years before then.

Ciccio
--
I don't care where Obama was born;
it's where he's living now that
bothers me.
Peter Lawrence
2015-05-22 04:59:34 UTC
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
Though it's been about 2-3 years since Geoff posted hereabouts, I appreciate
the fun recollections I have of jousting with him hereabouts for the many
years before then.
Ciccio
He was still somewhat active (probably the most active person, in fact) in
the mostly dormant ba.mountain-folk newsgroup.

His last post in that newsgroup occurred on 1/27/15 in the "Lesbians in
Scott Valley" thread. It was a short reply thanking me about a small tidbit
of information I supplied about how Chinese parents name their children.
Talk about thread drift. That small discussion came about after discussing
Calvin and Hobbes in the same "Lesbians in Scott Valley" thread.

He never once noted (or even hinted about) being serious ill. He seemed to
be in good spirits in most of his posts in that newsgroup.

(Don't know why he dropped off from ba.food, though.)

- Peter

Todd Michel McComb
2015-05-21 20:28:07 UTC
I agree with what some others have said. I'm sorry to hear about
Geoff. (He never took me up on the beer I offered him during an
argument.) How old was he?
Ciccio
2015-05-21 20:45:32 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
I agree with what some others have said. I'm sorry to hear about
Geoff. (He never took me up on the beer I offered him during an
argument.) How old was he?
Based upon info he related in his posts I'd guess about 55ish.

Ciccio
bothers me.
Julian Macassey
2015-05-21 23:33:31 UTC
On Thu, 21 May 2015 20:28:07 +0000 (UTC), Todd Michel McComb
Post by Todd Michel McComb
I agree with what some others have said. I'm sorry to hear about
Geoff. (He never took me up on the beer I offered him during an
argument.) How old was he?
I'm not sure, I'm guessing mid fifties.
--
"Nobody has gone to jail since the financial crisis. The banks, they do
things that are illegal and at best they slap on them a fine.?"
- Nouriel Roubini 7 July 2012
Jeff Liebermann
2015-05-22 00:37:16 UTC
On Thu, 21 May 2015 15:44:02 +0000 (UTC), Julian Macassey
Post by Julian Macassey
Geoff Miller, who was on the net for some time, died on
Tuesday May 19 of cancer.
Bummer. RIP.
--
Jeff Liebermann ***@cruzio.com