Crab cakes: Viva La Vita, San Carlos
Aahz Maruch
2011-03-20 00:29:07 UTC
My primary and I went to Viva La Vita last night and have decided that
currently it's the best restaurant in San Carlos. This opinion is
derived from several visits this year (I think this was our fourth), plus
a number of visits previously.

In particular, the crab cakes we had last night (a special) were among
the two or three best crab cakes we've ever had and might well be the
best. The Malbec was also excellent (sorry, didn't record more info).

My primary's veggie fusilli was very good (we've had it before), as was
the special flank steak I had (green peppercorn sauce, roasted asparagus
and potatoes), though a bit chewy.

We also enjoyed the blackberry cabernet sorbet for dessert. Service was
attentive without being intrusive. Total with tax and tip was $85.

http://www.vivalavitarestaurant.com/
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/
<*> <*> <*>
lying." --Jill Lundquist
Tony Lima
2011-03-20 02:35:17 UTC
Post by Aahz Maruch
My primary and I went to Viva La Vita last night and have decided that
currently it's the best restaurant in San Carlos. This opinion is
derived from several visits this year (I think this was our fourth), plus
a number of visits previously.
In particular, the crab cakes we had last night (a special) were among
the two or three best crab cakes we've ever had and might well be the
best. The Malbec was also excellent (sorry, didn't record more info).
My primary's veggie fusilli was very good (we've had it before), as was
the special flank steak I had (green peppercorn sauce, roasted asparagus
and potatoes), though a bit chewy.
We also enjoyed the blackberry cabernet sorbet for dessert. Service was
attentive without being intrusive. Total with tax and tip was $85.
http://www.vivalavitarestaurant.com/
Come on, aahz -- has Piacere really slipped that much? Or
are you just responding to the new place in town? - Tony
Aahz Maruch
2011-03-20 05:12:36 UTC
Post by Tony Lima
Come on, aahz -- has Piacere really slipped that much? Or
are you just responding to the new place in town? - Tony
Piacere has been on my shit list for years.
lying." --Jill Lundquist
sf
2011-03-20 03:02:14 UTC
Post by Aahz Maruch
My primary and I went to Viva La Vita last night and have decided that
currently it's the best restaurant in San Carlos. This opinion is
derived from several visits this year (I think this was our fourth), plus
a number of visits previously.
I will pass this on to DD who lives in San Jose, thanks - but she may
already know about it.
Post by Aahz Maruch
In particular, the crab cakes we had last night (a special) were among
the two or three best crab cakes we've ever had and might well be the
best. The Malbec was also excellent (sorry, didn't record more info).
No problem. Malbec, in general, is wonderful.
Post by Aahz Maruch
My primary's veggie fusilli was very good (we've had it before), as was
the special flank steak I had (green peppercorn sauce, roasted asparagus
and potatoes), though a bit chewy.
Oh, man... I do love a good green pepper sauce!
Post by Aahz Maruch
We also enjoyed the blackberry cabernet sorbet for dessert. Service was
attentive without being intrusive. Total with tax and tip was $85.
http://www.vivalavitarestaurant.com/
$85 for flank steak? We paid $65 tonight for a 22 oz t-bone that we
spit (it comes with pasta) with sides of spinach with sautéed with
garlic and sauteed mushrooms. For dessert, we split an order of
spumoni. Drinks were two dirty martini's (at happy hour price) and a
glass of red wine.
Peter Lawrence
2011-03-20 07:23:07 UTC
Post by Aahz Maruch
My primary and I went to Viva La Vita last night and have decided that
currently it's the best restaurant in San Carlos. This opinion is
derived from several visits this year (I think this was our fourth), plus
a number of visits previously.
Have you ever dined there on Tuesday nights, when they have live music
courtesy of Pasquale Esposito? If so, how was his singing? An enhancement
or a distraction to your experience?

- Peter
Aahz Maruch
2011-03-20 14:08:32 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Post by Aahz Maruch
My primary and I went to Viva La Vita last night and have decided that
currently it's the best restaurant in San Carlos. This opinion is
derived from several visits this year (I think this was our fourth), plus
a number of visits previously.
Have you ever dined there on Tuesday nights, when they have live music
courtesy of Pasquale Esposito? If so, how was his singing? An enhancement
or a distraction to your experience?
Haven't been by chance, would never go deliberately. (We do like live
music, but mostly things like jazz.)
lying." --Jill Lundquist
evergene
2011-03-20 18:25:01 UTC
Post by Aahz Maruch
My primary and I went to Viva La Vita last night and have decided that
currently it's the best restaurant in San Carlos. This opinion is
derived from several visits this year (I think this was our fourth), plus
a number of visits previously.
In particular, the crab cakes we had last night (a special) were among
the two or three best crab cakes we've ever had and might well be the
best. The Malbec was also excellent (sorry, didn't record more info).
My primary's veggie fusilli was very good (we've had it before), as was
the special flank steak I had (green peppercorn sauce, roasted asparagus
and potatoes), though a bit chewy.
We also enjoyed the blackberry cabernet sorbet for dessert. Service was
attentive without being intrusive. Total with tax and tip was $85.
http://www.vivalavitarestaurant.com/
I got curious about the wine, and checked Viva La Vita's on-line wine
list, where there's a Catena Malbec. If that's the one you had, it
really is good. K&L has the 2008 ($17.99) which I had not too long ago
and enjoyed a lot.
Aahz Maruch
2011-03-21 15:35:47 UTC
Post by evergene
Post by Aahz Maruch
My primary and I went to Viva La Vita last night and have decided that
currently it's the best restaurant in San Carlos. This opinion is
derived from several visits this year (I think this was our fourth), plus
a number of visits previously.
In particular, the crab cakes we had last night (a special) were among
the two or three best crab cakes we've ever had and might well be the
best. The Malbec was also excellent (sorry, didn't record more info).
I got curious about the wine, and checked Viva La Vita's on-line wine
list, where there's a Catena Malbec. If that's the one you had, it
really is good. K&L has the 2008 ($17.99) which I had not too long ago
and enjoyed a lot.
Sounds like the one. We don't drink enough to warrant buying a bottle
for ourselves, but maybe we should get a couple as gifts. You know, for
sharing.