The Kitchen Table, Mountain View
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-10 22:19:06 UTC
This place is on Castro St., between Villa and the railroad tracks.
It has been open just under 2 weeks.

The Kitchen Table is a new kosher restaurant in Mountain View (we
also have a Halal restaurant on Castro, Mediterranean Grill, down
by Starbucks). They have some classic deli foods, as well as some
more creative items, with everything being made in house.

Of course, my friend and I had to have a pastrami sandwich. I am
not a pastrami expert on the level of some of you, to be sure, but
we certainly like it. The house-made pastrami is served on house-made
sourdough rye. I had hand cut french fries, and my friend had the
German-style potato salad, which was very good.

I am sure all of you pastrami seekers will have to try it. We
talked a bit to some of the staff, and the owner's favorite sandwich
is a smoked turkey on a bread with cranberries.

We also got a "Lamb BLT" which is on the small plates, because the
person next to us recommended it so enthusiastically. The bacon
is made from lamb, and the whole thing was quite tasty, even if a
sandwich appetizer for a sandwich seems a bit crazy. We had a
peach-apricot strudel also, with a frozen vanilla custard. That
was good too, especially as we had been assured it was all non-dairy
(this would be a good place to eat for people with dairy allergies
or such).

The service had some confusion, which we blamed on being open so
short a time, but was certainly friendly. The place was doing a
lively lunch business on a Wednesday. It seems to be a hit already.
mjdix
2009-06-11 03:38:29 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
The service had some confusion, which we blamed on being open so
short a time, but was certainly friendly.  The place was doing a
lively lunch business on a Wednesday.  It seems to be a hit already.
This sounds great. I can't wait to go.

This is in the strip of Castro between the street Tied House is on,
and the tracks, right? It's not in the cursed location on the bay side
of the tracks, correct?
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-11 05:01:42 UTC
Post by mjdix
This is in the strip of Castro between the street Tied House is
on, and the tracks, right? It's not in the cursed location on the
bay side of the tracks, correct?
Correct. Next door to Hangen, which I mention, because I realized
today that it's the longest-tenured restaurant on that block.
Steve Pope
2009-06-11 04:55:13 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
[...]
Thanks for the report.

I would guess they not manufacturing their own kosher pastrami,
and that it is probably from one of a small handful of major
brands like Hebrew National. (Whose pastrami can be pretty good.)

I've heard of kosher lamb bacon before, but have never had it
nor even seen it on a menu...

S.
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-11 05:03:00 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
I would guess they not manufacturing their own kosher pastrami,
and that it is probably from one of a small handful of major brands
like Hebrew National.
No, they are making their own. We talked to both the owner and the
kosher supervisor, with fairly extensive conversations.
I liked it.
Steve Pope
2009-06-11 05:10:10 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
I would guess they are not manufacturing their own kosher pastrami,
and that it is probably from one of a small handful of major brands
like Hebrew National.
No, they are making their own. We talked to both the owner and the
kosher supervisor, with fairly extensive conversations.
Cool. Or at least, that amps up my interest in wanting to
try the place.

The next question in my mind is whether they are closed
on Sabbath. And do they have Russian dressing, matzo brie,
sable... I'm going to have to try the place soon.

Steve
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-11 05:16:01 UTC
The next question in my mind is whether they are closed on Sabbath.
Yeah, they are. They are planning to do takeout box dinners on
Friday nights, which sound pretty cool. The owner was saying lots
of people might like them if they don't want to cook, which makes
sense.
And do they have Russian dressing, matzo brie, sable... I'm going
to have to try the place soon.
Russian dressing on the pastrami.... He mentioned matzo, but I
don't know the details; I didn't see anything about sable, but I
might have missed it. Several things on the menu looked appealing.
Maybe they have a website... I haven't searched.
Steve Fenwick
2009-06-11 06:05:12 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
The next question in my mind is whether they are closed on Sabbath.
Yeah, they are. They are planning to do takeout box dinners on
Friday nights, which sound pretty cool. The owner was saying lots
of people might like them if they don't want to cook, which makes
sense.
And do they have Russian dressing, matzo brie, sable... I'm going
to have to try the place soon.
Russian dressing on the pastrami.... He mentioned matzo, but I
don't know the details; I didn't see anything about sable, but I
might have missed it. Several things on the menu looked appealing.
Maybe they have a website... I haven't searched.
<http://thekitchentablerestaurant.com/>

And 28 reviews on Yelp already.

Steve
--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-11 06:06:38 UTC
Oh, well, I still think it's a good place.
spamtrap1888
2009-06-11 16:35:25 UTC
Post by Steve Pope
The next question in my mind is whether they are closed
on Sabbath.  And do they have Russian dressing, matzo brie,
sable... I'm going to have to try the place soon.
This appears to be a meat restaurant, while I'd always associated
smoked fish with a dairy restaurant. Can you have, say, lox without
cream cheese?
Steve Pope
2009-06-11 18:58:52 UTC
Post by spamtrap1888
This appears to be a meat restaurant, while I'd always associated
smoked fish with a dairy restaurant. Can you have, say, lox without
cream cheese?
Sure, dairy restaurants tend to be heavy on fish given people's
general desire to consume flesh. But there is no proscription
against fish at a meat restaurant.

That being said, looking at the menu for Second Avenue Deli,
they do not have sable. But they do have broiled sole, salmon,
and carp, gefilte fish, whitefish salad, and "nova with pareve"
(smoked salmon and fake cream cheese on a bagel). They do
not say if this is tofu cream cheese but that would be my guess.

Steve
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-11 19:03:59 UTC
But there is no proscription against fish at a meat restaurant.
The Kitchen Table had some tuna and salmon items on the menu. (I
don't recall other fish, but wasn't looking for them.)
Peter Lawrence
2009-06-12 08:02:45 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
This place is on Castro St., between Villa and the railroad tracks.
It has been open just under 2 weeks.
I thought it had been open since mid-May.

- Peter
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-12 15:21:24 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
I thought it had been open since mid-May.
I did too, but the owner said it had been just under 2 weeks when
we asked. I don't know what was going on prior to that.
Steve Fenwick
2009-06-13 01:21:38 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Post by Peter Lawrence
I thought it had been open since mid-May.
I did too, but the owner said it had been just under 2 weeks when
we asked. I don't know what was going on prior to that.
They were doing soft-openings and privet events.

A co-worker and I tried them today. Good pastrami and corned beef, good
cole slaw (vinegar-style). Portions small for $12--we both easily
finished our sandwiches, when we should have had to take half home. A
neighboring table found the pastrami not up to the standards at Carnegie
Deli--the pastrami was rather fatty, but I liked it. Service was fine,
fast enough to get us in and out in about 30 minutes on a Friday at noon.

We'll go back, if only because it's the only kosher restaurant in the
area, and it has outdoor seating.

Steve
spamtrap1888
2009-06-13 02:11:06 UTC
Post by Steve Fenwick
A co-worker and I tried them today. Good pastrami and corned beef, good
cole slaw (vinegar-style). Portions small for $12--we both easily
finished our sandwiches, when we should have had to take half home. A
neighboring table found the pastrami not up to the standards at Carnegie
Deli--the pastrami was rather fatty, but I liked it. Service was fine,
fast enough to get us in and out in about 30 minutes on a Friday at noon.
We'll go back, if only because it's the only kosher restaurant in the
area, and it has outdoor seating.
My wife and I went there today, and I agree it's not the Carnegie
Deli. From the appetizers, and the bulk of the menu, it's trying to be
a California Jewish restaurant, with a nod to some old-time favorites.
Inside it's pleasantly upscale; it looks like the kind of place that
charges $12 for a sandwich. One wall of the main dining room has
photos of families at dinner, centered by a screen showing a slide
show of families around the kitchen table.

If you want fat-free meat, my corned beef was it. The proprietor said
the pastrami came from the navel -- does this click with anyone? The
portions they used were what I would use when making myself a
sandwich. Note that they eschew the clever stacking used by, for
example, the Max chain.

For those who want value for money, order something else: my wife's
tuna sandwich had a hearty slab of tuna steak.

My wife's cole slaw tasted very fresh, crispy rather than soggy,
neither vinegary nor sugary as so many local slaws are. I had fries,
which were fine.

The sandwiches were garnished with lettuce, red onion, and a
surprisingly good tomato slice. The accompanying pickle spear tasted
of pickling spices rather than dill.

We also had the eggplant appetizer, which seemed to fit into the
chutney domain.
spamtrap1888
2009-06-13 02:13:46 UTC
Post by spamtrap1888
Post by Steve Fenwick
[...]
I left out a couple of observations: The proprietor was riding herd on
everything, as you would like to see in a restaurant. The on-premise
smoker in the kitchen area reminded me of the one used by Schwartz's
Delicatessen in Montreal.
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-14 00:45:45 UTC
Yes.
Todd Michel McComb
2009-06-14 00:48:44 UTC
we both easily finished our sandwiches, when we should have had
to take half home.
I couldn't finish mine, although I had an appetizer and am not a
big eater. I was pleased that the portions were reasonable, and
not insanely large. Insanely large portions are OK in situations
where things keep and you're going home afterward, but often I find
them rather frustrating.

The pastrami has some fat to it, which I'm not complaining about,
and was quite filling for me.

SMS
2009-06-13 08:34:19 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
The service had some confusion, which we blamed on being open so
short a time, but was certainly friendly. The place was doing a
lively lunch business on a Wednesday. It seems to be a hit already.
On Tuesday I was at Kaiser (after drinking a gallon of delicious Colyte)
and the nurses were talking about planning to go to the Kitchen Table,
and I was struggling to listen to them as the anesthesia was taking
hold. Then when I woke up, I wasn't sure if I had heard them right about
a kosher restaurant with corned beef and pastrami opening in Mountain
View, or if I had dreamed it.

$12 for a sandwich isn't unreasonable considering what it costs in NYC.
I had a corned beef sandwich in Florida last week and it was $12.50 but
came with MBS, dessert, and a beverage. Plus it was where Obama went in
South Florida during a campaign stop last October. They had a photo
album on the counter with all the pictures, but no Obama menu items. The
bakery case had the Obama unity cookie, but they had taken the sign
down, "Loading Image..."

Judging from some of the Yelp Reviews, Kitchen Table face the age-old
problem of corned beef and pastrami, where some people complain that the
meat is "dry" if it's too lean, and others complain that it's too fatty
if the meat is moister. At a kosher deli I went to in NYC in April, you
can order the meat leaner and drier or fattier and moister (dryer/leaner
costs $1.25 extra). This was at Fine and Schapiro on the west side, not
one of the cult delis at Times Square or Katz's
"http://www.fineandschapiro.com/Menu2.pdf".
Steve Pope
2009-06-13 15:34:00 UTC
At a kosher deli I went to in NYC in April, you can order
the meat leaner and drier or fattier and moister (dryer/leaner
costs $1.25 extra). This was at Fine and Schapiro on the west
side, not one of the cult delis at Times Square or Katz's
"http://www.fineandschapiro.com/Menu2.pdf".
I also like Fine and Schapiro. Two things to note about them --
they use (at least sometimes) Hebrew National pastrami, as
I have seen them slicing open a package of it. (I actually
suspect they multiply-source their pastrami.)

The other is that they are not a deli. This has been explained to
me very forcefully by purists; they have no counter, therefore
are not a deli. They're a restauraunt. Go figure; they fill
the role of deli from my point of view....

Steve