Masu - A new Japanese restaurant in San Mateo
Glenn S. Tenney KCTJ CISSP
2003-07-31 23:31:39 UTC
Masu -- Japanese Bistro
79 East 3rd Ave; San Mateo; 650-342-5254
(on 3rd, the first block "east" of El Camino, on the "north" side of
3rd, a couple of doors down from Amici's Pizza)

Just opened on July 15th. Their special thing is: All you can eat for
lunches at $9.95 ordered from their lunch menu (not a buffet). I asked
and they say that this is their regular lunch thing -- not an opening
special.

You order any two items (per person) when you finish those, you then can
keep ordering one item per person until you wish to stop. Each item
(except for the miso, salad, rice, and drinks) is made for you when you
order it -- it is not a buffet. Their menu included free items (sodas,
tea, soup, rice, salad), cooked dishes (chicken, beef, salmon teriyaki;
shrimp tempura, udon, nabe), and LOTS of rolls. Didn't see any nigiri
on the lunch menu, though. Fried rolls (gyoza roll, spider roll, etc.
etc.), cooked rolls (unagi, etc.), raw fish rolls, large selection of
vegie rolls...

When we were there earlier this week for our first time we had: chicken
teriyaki (quite good), and shrimp tempura (also quite good) -- both were
more of an appetizer serving than a meal (e.g. 3 shrimp for the tempura,
and the teriyaki plate included a couple of pieces of pickles, some
cabbage, and a piece of veggie). We had some rolls too: spicy hamachi,
spicy tuna, "Lion King" (shrimp, crab, asparagus), unagi, garlic
albacore. All were good, but too much cucumber to my tastes (I'd
prefer mostly none). The garlic albacore reflects their Korean
background and was very good -- I like strong garlic! The Lion King
was too nouvelle for us -- decorative drizzle of mayo on top! Wouldn't
choose it again, but it wasn't bad. Mayo on sushi?

You can easily have miso, salad, udon, tempura, and a few rolls all for
$9.95. Not bad at all -- and it's not a buffet!

I'd definitely go back there... and did today.

Today we had: they started by serving miso and salad (they didn't last
time, but I gather they're supposed to), salmon teriyaki (my wife liked
it), beef teriyaki (ok, but we both prefered the chicken), a roll with
unagi / hamachi / avocado (sigh... avocado in sushi...), spicy hamachi
roll (I tried to see if they would leave out the cucumber this time, but
NO), spider roll (tasted like the crab was fried a little while ago and
not right before using ... it included some real crab and some fake
crab... and lots of cucumber), salmon skin roll, and the garlic tuna
roll.

Every roll had way way too much cucumber, even when you wouldn't expect
the roll to have any cucumber. It seems that they're trying to fill you
up with cucumber... On the final roll (the garlic tuna) we picked the
cuke out -- every piece had three good sized slivers of cuke (my wife
said it was the good expensive cuke, but we agreed it was TOO much). We
also felt that the rolls were not "professionally" made -- most rolls
didn't stay rolled together and often had lopsided rice (one side of a
roll would be very thick, while the opposite side was normal).

Service is still a bit uneven -- sometimes they're right there asking if
you want to order something else, and other times your tea cup is empty
and you have to try to catch someone's eye.

So, after two tries I'd still go back for lunch there. You can easily
get enough good teriyaki, tempura, and a couple of rolls to be well
worth $10. We found the roll choices to not be "traditional", a bit
too "California", and overall just average quality. Much better than
some boat places I've been to, but much inferior to many good sushi
places I've been to...

Overall grade: "C", but an "A" as a price performer.
--
Glenn Tenney KCTJ CISSP
The email address has been altered for display since spam
is not allowed here, but you can figure it out...
Glenn S. Tenney KCTJ CISSP
2003-08-16 17:07:52 UTC
I'm reposting the below because... it just seemed so strange for any
posting about a restaurant in ba.food to not have ONE response in over
two weeks...

I went back to this restaurant a couple of days ago with a friend. We
had: an order each tempura, chicken teriyaki; and then probably 8 rolls
between us all for $9.95 each.

My friend felt it was a "B-" overall, but as a price performer it's an
"A". He said that he'd definitely go back, but we wonder how long
they'll keep up the "all you want to order for $10" at lunchtime.

Glenn
Todd Michel McComb
2003-08-17 00:16:23 UTC
I've lived in the greater Bay Area since 1974 and have never been
out of my car within the ostensible downtown area of San Mateo...
I've been there a few times, and San Mateo has some pretty decent
restaurants. However, it's true, I don't go there often, and don't
pay much attention to reviews of most places there.
Asya Kamsky
2003-08-17 04:29:44 UTC
However, you are in a relative ba.food (and maybe Internet in general)
vacuum between Silicon Valley and SF (and the Berkeley/Oakland area as
a third but minor pole). You may be the only person here who lives in
or near San Mateo.
Incorrect. There are at least half a dozen posters here who
either live or work in or right near San Mateo (adjacent towns
are Burlingame, Belmont, maybe San Carlos).

Certainly this is a location that gets asked about on regular
occassion as it's about halfway between SF and SJ and tends
to be a compromise location for a lot of people I know when
they have a group that lives all over the Peninsula.

ObSanMateoFood: a couple of lunches at Tokyo Star confirm that
it's an okay-nothing-special-but-<$10-lunch sort of thing.

--
Asya Kamsky

"To forgive is an act of compassion. It is not done because
people deserve it, it's done because they need it." -- Rupert Giles.
Mark Mellin
2003-08-17 09:54:01 UTC
Post by Asya Kamsky
However, you are in a relative ba.food (and maybe Internet in general)
vacuum between Silicon Valley and SF (and the Berkeley/Oakland area as
a third but minor pole).
Curiously enough, in the earlier days of ba.food (circa 1990), I seem
to recall more Berkeley postings than San Francisco ones, among the many
South Bay reports. I always attributed this to campus net access at the
time.
Post by Asya Kamsky
You may be the only person here who lives in
or near San Mateo.
Incorrect.
I'll say!
Post by Asya Kamsky
There are at least half a dozen posters here who
either live or work in or right near San Mateo (adjacent towns
are Burlingame, Belmont, maybe San Carlos).
While Google Groups should learn to ignore Al Eisner's .sig file, it
reports 'about' 3,760 hits for the exact phrase "San Mateo" in ba.food.
"Santa Cruz" returned 'about' 2,100.
Post by Asya Kamsky
Certainly this is a location that gets asked about on regular
occassion as it's about halfway between SF and SJ and tends
to be a compromise location for a lot of people I know when
they have a group that lives all over the Peninsula.
Indeed, we've even had a ba.food dinner in downtown San Mateo.

Just wait until the new branch of Left Bank opens this autumn! :-)

- Mark

ObSanMateoFood: Hotaru Sushi, 33 East 3rd Avenue. A small, but very
popular place, tasty fish, not bad prices, but indifferent service.
Mark Mellin San Mateo Village, CA 94403 USA
Al Eisner
2003-08-18 21:31:22 UTC
Post by Mark Mellin
While Google Groups should learn to ignore Al Eisner's .sig file, it
reports 'about' 3,760 hits for the exact phrase "San Mateo" in ba.food.
"Santa Cruz" returned 'about' 2,100.
Sorry about that! I took to doing this because I've too many times
encountered misinterpretations of "Redwood City" - i.e., from people
who think I live surrounded by redwoods in northwest CA. [Of course, that
wouldn't be a problem for ba.food readers.] They may not know where
"San Mateo County" is, but at least they won't get it completely wrong!

There's lots of stuff I wish I could do with the google search engine, and
can't, but that's already been discussed here....

ObFood: My most recent meal in San Mateo was most likely at Pancho Villa;
I've found nothing comparably good in my more local area.
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo County, CA
amalia
2003-08-17 16:04:52 UTC
However, you are in a relative ba.food (and maybe Internet in general)
vacuum between Silicon Valley and SF (and the Berkeley/Oakland area as
a third but minor pole). You may be the only person here who lives in
or near San Mateo.
Incorrect. [...]
Certainly this is a location that gets asked about on regular
occassion as it's about halfway between SF and SJ and tends
to be a compromise location for a lot of people I know when
they have a group that lives all over the Peninsula.
True. I've got both Shalizar and Santa Ramen tee'd up for upcoming
gatherings. Thanks, ba.foodies, for the recs.

-Amalia