Oasis Cafe on Treasure Island
David Kaye
2015-10-16 21:12:37 UTC
These folks have an excellent Philly. No, it's not like the original, but
I've had the original and I think it's garbage. This Philly has the right
mixture of well-cooked beef, bell peppers and onions, and cheese, and it's
on homemade foccacia! $7.75 including fries or a really good mixed greens
salad, if you prefer. As much as possible they're trying to bring as much
prep in-house as possible.

The Oasis is on California Avenue at the Treasure Island Event Venue (TIEV),
a former officers' club, now used for weddings and other special events.
The Oasis is open 10am to 9pm. Pizza is their specialty, and I'm told it's
good, but I haven't ordered one.

---
sf
2015-10-16 21:24:56 UTC
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:12:37 -0700, "David Kaye"
Post by David Kaye
These folks have an excellent Philly. No, it's not like the original, but
I've had the original and I think it's garbage. This Philly has the right
mixture of well-cooked beef, bell peppers and onions, and cheese, and it's
on homemade foccacia! $7.75 including fries or a really good mixed greens
salad, if you prefer. As much as possible they're trying to bring as much
prep in-house as possible.
The Oasis is on California Avenue at the Treasure Island Event Venue (TIEV),
a former officers' club, now used for weddings and other special events.
The Oasis is open 10am to 9pm. Pizza is their specialty, and I'm told it's
good, but I haven't ordered one.
Might be worth a trip out there to check the place out. Haven't been
on TI in practically forever. Thanks for posting.
sf
David Kaye
2015-10-17 00:24:29 UTC
Post by sf
Might be worth a trip out there to check the place out. Haven't been
on TI in practically forever. Thanks for posting.
If you happen to be in the area, sure, but it's just a limited service cafe.
The Treasure Island Development Authority (TIDA) wanted some operators to
come in and run a couple restaurants and grocery store, etc., to keep the
residents happy. So, there is the Oasis on California Avenue and the TI-BAG
(pronounced teabag), the Treasure Island Bar And Grill, which has a full
service bar. I recommend their pesto chicken sandwich (freshly ground basil
each day), and their crabcake sandwich (handmade). The TI-BAG I'm told has
good tacos al pastore, but I'm not into pork that much. I'm told, however,
that it's the best thing on their menu.

There's a third restaurant on TI, Aracely, owned by the woman who used to
have the Axis Cafe on 8th near 16th in SF. Their menu is limited and
they're open only for lunch, but their flank steak sandwich is good as is
their ocean trout with fried beets and kale.

---
Peter Lawrence
2015-10-17 01:14:28 UTC
Post by David Kaye
Post by sf
[...]
Do any of the restaurants on Treasure Island offer Happy Hour specials? It
would be a killer location for a great happy hour bar and grill.

- Peter
David Kaye
2015-10-17 09:24:40 UTC
Post by Peter Lawrence
Do any of the restaurants on Treasure Island offer Happy Hour specials?
It would be a killer location for a great happy hour bar and grill.
The TI-BAG is the only full-liquor place on TI. They offer $1 off well
drinks, meaning that most well drinks go for $3 instead of the usual $4.
They have special mini-tacos for $1.50 each (meat, cilantro and onions on
two tortillas), and they have mini-nachos (no meat) for $3. Happy hours are
weekdays only from 4 to 6pm. Sunday afternoons (I forget the times) they
offer a bottomless cup mimosa for $10.

Oh, and they have a special Moscow mule concoction with mint and infused
bitters, etc., served in a copper cup (copper external, not copper lined).
Normally $6 but $3 on happy hours.

Obviously the happy hour prices are a way to keep the locals happy.

---
Tim May
2015-10-18 07:45:24 UTC
Post by David Kaye
Post by Peter Lawrence
Do any of the restaurants on Treasure Island offer Happy Hour specials?
It would be a killer location for a great happy hour bar and grill.
The TI-BAG is the only full-liquor place on TI. They offer $1 off well
drinks, meaning that most well drinks go for $3 instead of the usual
$4. They have special
Is this a pun on their part? Are they signaling alliance with the many
"tea bag parlors" a few miles away in the Castro?
--
Tim May